Where to get a rear axle differntial - for a fancy demo!

Yes chaps - as a "fun" job I'd like to make up a demo-differential just to show how they work. Plenty of stuff on the web but I'd like to make a real one. Basically, get a diff, take the cover plate(s) off clean it all up, strip it down, paint the bits nice colours and

*maybe* get a low power(slow, band-driven) electric motor to turn the input shaft. No half-shafts but maybe some pretend road wheels (wooden) bolted to the output flanges. I think I can make this work but (don't laugh), I don't have a diff to do it with! I'd like a decent one (failed is fine as long as not mangled or seized). I reckon a modest bmw 3 series (316/318) would do fine - but *not* a limited slip. I'm not a scrappy expert and can't afford £££ for this - but how much would you reckon I should pay for such a beasty? Or , anyone here have one for a reasonable price? I'm in the East Mids Near Derby anc can collect. Thanks - apols for all that detail - getting to keen on silly project! :-)
Reply to
dave

You could give Spitfire Graveyard in Sheffield a call. They're bound to have a few unsaleable ones. Heralds, Spitfires and the like all had diffs with external driveshafts (i.e. not "banjo" type axles). They also had the advantage (for you) of a removable rear casing that leaves most of the workings visible.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Toyota Celica GT4s and I imagine Supras used external bolt on shafts too. And the older ones are getting on a bit.

Not sure about which cover comes off them too.

Reply to
Elder

If you get the MK2 Escort axle and pull the driveshafts out, the diff unbolts from the front and comes out in its housing, leaving the moving parts clearly visible and a nice propshaft flange to turn.

Reply to
Conor

Yebbut the Triumph one would let him push the short driveshafts back into place, so that they turn as well, illustrating the complete motion while still being a compact unit.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke