which 2nd hand car would you recommend?

ok soon I will be looking for a new car. £2-4k in value. Priorities are:

Must be good to drive - good handling, steering etc

1.6 to 2 litre engine (would consider a diesel, maybe) Not too big, but no smaller than say an MG ZS

Ones I'm thinking of are:

Subaru Impreza (but fuel consumption puts me off a bit) MG ZS Mazda 3

Oh and I dont like French cars (Peugeot and Renault are definitely out)

Other suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Marvin

Marvin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

PEUGEOT 806 :-)

Reply to
Tunku

Perhaps not a very exciting or original suggestion, but a Ford Focus would seem to fit your above spec. They are a surprisingly good drive, (really- they're great handlers for a family car) not too dear to insure (well, except the sporty ones!) or maintain, and are very easy to get bits for. They're also solid and dependable with low running costs.

The TDCI diesels are good performers yet very frugal, though you'll be pushed to find a good one in your price range, and the 2.0L petrol will put a smile on your face at the expense of fuel economy. The 1.8L and 1.6L petrols are willing enough for the average driver, and the latter should be good for 40mpg combined cycle. Avoid the 1.4, they're shit so I'm told.

Tin hat on:-

If you don't have a family, aren't too long legged and want something cheap but with good performance- try a Rover 25 or 45 TD. The 25 achieves 0-60 in under 10 seconds, the 45 slightly slower, and they return 50mpg. I wanted one myself until I found out the 25 and 45 had a really cramped driving position and no rear legroom. No use for a family IMO. Parts may prove to be a problem in the forseeable future, but the 25 is a good used buy, and 45s are practically being given away. I've seen top spec 52 reg examples of the latter for 2 grand or less.

Dave

Reply to
Morse

BMW 3/5 series, could certainly got a year 2000 one-ish for that price. Plus it used to be a £20k car, so it shows. They're strangely sparkly silver colour seems to last through the ages. If you really don't want the luxury of it, and the comfy comfy seats, then as recommended, a focus is a wise choice as the above poster has recommended.

Reply to
David R

Rover 2000TC

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Previous model (P11 or P11-144) Nissan Primera - 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 petrol available, plus diesel. Comfortable (I'm 6 ft 5 and well upholstered), well equipped (even base model 'S'), handling suprisingly good with some kind of multilink suspension setup, performance when required, reasonable fuel economy, generally reliable. Cam chain instead of belt.

Most recent model is a bit too 'Renault' for my taste in the electrics department - multiplex wiring etc.

Get a good one for under =A33k

Check

for more opinions on the car. I know I like mine - 2000 P11-144 1.8s 5 door.

Jez

Reply to
jezclear

I had a Primera P11, 2.0 GX and I'll agree that it was lovely to drive, great handling. However, I also found it extremely dull and a little underpowered. Fortunately it didn't break down very often which was a good thing since it was damned expensive when it did!

I'm now driving an Avensis 2.0 VVTi (2001 model) and in close to three years of ownership apart from the usual tyres and services it hasn't cost me a single penny. It's also much faster than the Primera, 149BHP as opposed to the 109BHP of the Primera. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Reply to
Dave

Good call. I had a 1.8 Primera Activ and loved driving it. Quiet, smooth, quite quick and handled well if a bit twitchy in a straight line. The engines are superb and should be good for very high mileages. I like the fact they have camchains as well- I loathe cambelts and consider them to be about the worst feature of modern cars.

Looks original and fresh though IMO, whereas the old one was rather uninspiring to look at and had a really boring interior with that crappy plastic centre panel. However, the new shape still seem to fetch good money, especially the diesels, whereas the old ones seem have depreciated like crazy and go for peanuts. I'd keep well away from the old shape turbodiesels though- they are crude, as flat as a fart and only offer similar economy to the petrols.

Example- mine was a 51 reg, in really nice condition with 47K on the clock and I had to let it go for around £2400. The buyer ended up with a hell of a car for his money.

There is one thing to watch on them though- the door hinges are prone to wear, resulting in clicking/knocking noises when the car goes over bumps, round corners etc as the door shifts, and the whole hinge must be replaced when they do- the pins are not replaceable. If they are neglected the top corner of the front doors can foul the rear doors when opening/closing, and they don't have to wear much for this to happen. Replacing the hinges entails removing or at least easing back the wing to access the bolts, then realigning the door. I did mine myself but it wasn't a nice straightforward job and I was glad when I finished without scratching the wing.

The hinges are quite cheap though- around £18 each IIRC, but poorly made by Nissan's standards considering the weight of the door.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

Thanks for that suggestion, I remember the old Primeras did get good reviews for their handling and driver enjoyment. Nissan engines are good too.

Reply to
Marvin

Apparently the current model is uninspiring to drive.

Reply to
Marvin

Dont like BMWs. Expensive to repair too. And I like to be let out of side-roads on my way to work. ;-)

Reply to
Marvin

Pity. I believe the current crop of Diesel Nissans use Renault DCi engines too, at least the Micras do, which can't be good. Their alliance with Renault will no doubt put paid to their excellent reliabilty record. The Peugeot/Citroen HDi engine would have been a better choice IMO.

Dave

Reply to
Morse

They're based on the Renault block, but they're not identical. For example, the Nissan engines are chain driven, instead of using a belt.

Reply to
Woof

Hmmm. I have a Ford Focus 1.8 Tdci and I only get around 45 mpg. Not that economical for a diesel!

Reply to
Alasdair

Impreza or Civic Type R.

Reply to
Doki

Skoda Octavia available in I think still, 1.6 and 2 litre. Like a golf only bigger, cheaper and better equiped.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Also, Saab 900 (the 94+ one, not the 79-93 one) or 9000 Both family sized but not over large. 2.0 and 2.3 engines.

900 has injection and full pressure turbo. 9000 has injection, light pressure turbo and full pressure turbo. Likley you will get FSH, Climate control, leather multi disc CD changer and electric heated=20 and adjustable seats for your budget. Might even find a budget 9-5 just, but 9-3's might be right at the upper=20 end of your budget for a low spec car. But they do make a diesel.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

The Golf isnt a driver's car (the current model is better but that is not available for the money I have available)

Reply to
Marvin

But are they good to drive? I've never really heard people rave about Saab handling.

Reply to
Marvin

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Marvin wittered on forthwith;

Mondeo or Focus, best secondhand cars in the world.

Reply to
Pete M