Which car cleaning materials ?

Hi all

I have just bought my first car, 1 year old, and I am keen to look after it. I have been browsing the net looking for car cleaning products e.g. shampoo, wash mits, wax etc. There is so much conflicting opinions

Any suggestions for successful products and a website where I could purchase them would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Con.

Reply to
Red Devil

You could spend and absolute fortune on this stuff depending how far you go. The top brands I sometimes use are Autoglym and Meguiars. Google a guide and it will trell you all there is to know.

But these days I just hose the car off then bucket and spnge it with a good car shampoo, chamois it, polish\wax it and leave it at that sometimes if I'm being a bit picky I use wonder wheels I think it;s called to make my tyres looks black and wet kind of slick looking.

You can get this stuff from Autoglym on there website and Meguiars aswell, which has a forum on it for you to share and learn cleaning tips :)

But don't spend all you pocket money on it.

Saying that when I got my firs car I polished it for a month!

...cue exit

Reply to
Petesmad

I have refined my accessory products over the years to the ones which actually work:

a) Turtle wax "wash n wax" Shampoo: I buy it in the 5 litre size- lasts at least 15months washing 5 cars at our place. Small local accessory shops are much cheaper than halfrauds.

b) Keep a look out in Poundland for tyre-shine- often 3 simonez cans for £1. Also good for black and dark / plastic exterior trim parts, rubbing strips etc.

c) 5 litre can of professional traffic film remover from your local agri / truck merchant- Use 50/50 with a cloth applied to wheels- brake dust just washes off after one or two mins soak. Do NOT leave it on for longer. Also excellant for removing dead bugs from front of car, but be VERY careful not to let it dry or on for more than 1 min. Dont mix this solution in your shampoo bucket.

d) Meguilars Tech Wax. Tried autoglym- this stuff is far easier to buff off and doesnt leave dust. Not cheap but you dont use much. Use one of their round foam pads for applying it.

e) Autoglym interior vinyl and plastics cleaner. Get the 1 litre sprayer. Doesnt leave a nasty sticky mess.

Hope this helps!

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Keep in mind people's suggestions here are just their own choice in reality, and htey haven't likely compared the numerous amounts of cleaning nonsense available on the market.

Auto-express (.co.uk) tested various polishes and the other things you requested on their website, along with other interesting goodies. I'd have a look at that first if I were you.

I found their recommendation for 'coma' car polish spot on, having used polishes in the past, the coma polish proved very good, and has lasted many months so far.

Reply to
gthh

Autoglym super resin wax 2 or 3 times a year will protect the paint.

Autoglym glass cleaner guarantees streak-free windows.

Wonder Wheels to keep the alloys clean.

Hosepipe and a 'Flash Car Wash System' for a quick weekly wash.

Reply to
SteveH