Which Galaxy Engine ?

I want to buy a used Ford Galaxy, say 97 or 98.

Which engine is most sensible? Is the 1.9TD any good?

Any advice on economy/performance etc?

Thanks

John

Reply to
John & Karen

Great engines.. Same as used in VW & Audis

Reply to
biscuit

Reply to
Mindwipe

If you must have a Galaxy the 2.3 petrol or 1.9 TDi but the 110 or 130 version are the only sensible options. If you're buying used, check everything works and get some warranty on it for when things stop working (mainly electrical / climate control type thingys)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

We have a X-reg 'facelift' (MkII) V6. Love it. The VR6 engine is sooo flexible. The dual-zone climate control is really useful on a car with so much glass. Others have remarked that the ordinary A/C on the other engine sizes isn't up to much.

Our Galaxy is for low mileage use (mainly family outings) so fuel thirst isn't too much of a concern. Even so I'm getting around 28mpg overall on super unleaded (it costs-in) which I reckon is pretty good. A friend has the 2.3 and gets around 25mpg - maybe it's underpowered for the weight. The MkI V6 versions (i.e. for a 97/98 model) are supposedly slightly more economical I guess because the engine output power was about 30bhp lower.

Insurance is a bit steep but what the hell.

For more "opinion" take a read of

Rick Marks

try joining this forum

of opinions here but personally would go for 1.9 TDI Ghia 130 Ps +trimming yum yum (26k from drivethe deal) - I wishbut would like to be able to afford to run the V6 my current 1.9 tdi 115 Psgets about 43Mpg when I drive it 35Mpg when SWMBO drives it - must bejourney type

Nik

Reply to
NikV

just remember that there are two variants of this engine - the 90ps and the 110. The 110 is actually better mpg as well as more pulling power.

hth

Please reply to newsgroup - it's not my address in the header!

Reply to
Baffie

actually three variants 90, 115 and now 130 (from 01/03 made in poland I think)

nik

Reply to
NikV

Those engine options that you quote are correct - but are the ones that are available *now* - the original poster was talking about buying a 97 or 98 model.

Of course, all can be rechipped for *considerably* more pulling power

Aren't they made in the VW factory in Portugal? (Ford/VW/Seat)

Please reply to newsgroup - it's not my address in the header!

Reply to
Baffie

Baffie waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

IIRC, Seat dealers used to sell + fit the more power chips (thus not knackering warranty) for £500ish.

We used to get the diesel Galaxys on our hire car fleet chipped because they weren't quick enough for our lead footed delivery drivers.

Reply to
Pete M
10 Ford galaxy engine low mileage
Reply to