Which turbo diesel??

Hi

I am looking to buy a new car in the new year. I am looking for a turbo diesel, but having never owned one I am unsure of whats hot, and whats not.

These are my requirements:

Very good fuel consumption, at least 55mpg Performance, I want to have brisk, clean acceleration I want the usual add-ons, I suppose something like a Zetec trim And, most importantly, budget of £12,000

I would preferably like to buy new, but depending on size/cost I may opt for

2/3 years old.

Any advice appreciated!

Moby.

-- /\ Remove YOUR THOUGHTS to reply \/

Reply to
Moby

Well, I've been very happy with my TDCi Mondeo estate which I have had, not from new, for nearly a year. You'd get a secondhand one inside your budget. Whether you'd get 55 mpg though, I don't know. I get about 40 mpg regardless of whether I'm pottering or thrashing. If I drove at a steady 60 mph I'd probably get 55 mpg. I think Fords reckon this.

Accelerationwise, it's only 0.8 sec slower 0-60 than my friend's BMW 5 Touring, and that has 250cc more. His is automatic, though.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Peugeot/Citroen with the 110hdi engine. Not quite 55mpg but genuine 50+mpg. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

It depends on which is more important - 55 mpg or brisk acceleration. You will struggle to find both. The downside of the recent diesel developments for greater power/performance is that the economy figures have taken a bit of a hit.

You're better off going for a Focus/307 sized car than a Mondeo/406, because they are significantly lighter, which will help with your performance/economy criteria. I had a 406 HDi for a while and it was a cracking car, but would struggle to get within 10mpg of your requirement unless you really are light footed.

Your budget will comfortably buy a 6 month-to-year old Focus Zetec TDCi

115 with less than 10k on the clock. Fabulous car. Had a drive in one a couple of months ago (in Zetec trim) and was seriously impressed. Refined, very lively and generally superb to drive. Not sure about economy though, but I would expect 45 mpg+. Also try the 100PS version which is still quite peppy, but should be a bit more economical. Zetec spec is nice with sports(ish) suspension, CD player, electric windows, electric mirrors and the usual gadgets. The climate pack is often fitted and is worth seeking out - adds air-con and a heated front screen.

I think your choice will depend on whereabouts in the performance and economy scale you want your compromise to sit.

Reply to
Dan Post

In message , Moby writes

As others have said you will struggle to get 55mpg from the current crop of TDi's which are biased towards performance over economy. You are more likely to get what you want from a smaller car. Have a look at the VW Polo and its stablemates.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I was passenger last year in a VW Golf TD which was the 130hp model I was told. It had 6 gears and strong acceleration and was quiet, and I remember the mpg meter was showing 55mpg just about all the time.

Reply to
Steve B

I would recommend the TDCi Focus too. The 100ps version is no better on fuel than the 115 which is the best. Engines are identical apart from the fuelling is chopped down at higher revs on the 100 version just so it doesnt reach 115ps. Very little difference in the way they drive apart from the 100 goes flat over 3000rpm.

The Climate pack is a must have. - re-sale value is limited without it.

I also wouldnt plan to run this engine much over 120k miles as long term reliability is showing to be a small issue, especially if you stick to Fords

12500 mile service intervals.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hmm. The larger cars are almost always more aerodynamic, so on the motorway can often match or exceed their smaller cousin's fuel consumption returns.

Weight becomes much more of an issue if you're always changing speed. But at a cruise, it makes little impact.

Reply to
DervMan

Right. Here's your first important point. In what way do you want to obtain 55 mpg? Do you cover 50,000 miles a year on the motorway? If so, most of the current crop of turbodiesels will be able to have a passing stab at 55 mpg. If, however, you live and drive in a city, then you'll not be getting anywhere close to 55 mpg from almost all mainstream cars.

First off, dump the notion of a new car. You'll get a lot more for your money if you are prepared to take a used car.

Secondly, what size of car, and how are you going to use it?

Finally, as a footnote, the '94 Mondeo TD I ran - old engine, indirect injection, so on and so forth - could easily return mpg figures in excess of

50 mpg on a long main road and motorway drive sticking to the speed limit. Kermit's only approached 50 mpg if we've accepted a compromise in speed. The Mondeo is some 500 kg heavier than the Ka but has much more efficient aerodynamics.
Reply to
DervMan

Not everyone's choice, but I'm really happy with my Astra. See fuel consumption figures and graph at

Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

Why on earth would someone with £12k to blow on a car insist on 55mpg? Clearly not an eco-person or they wouldn't consider a petrol.

This is manic stupidity again, petrol is such a small part of the overall running costs of a car, why are people so obsessed with it?

Depreciation is going to cost far far more, why not plump for a 5 year old petrol car, the savings you will make compared to buying new will be far far far greater than any fuel savings.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

In message , Oliver Keating writes

Its not so small if you are doing high mileage and the diesel car does

15mpg more than the petrol car.
Reply to
Paul Giverin

I drive around 30k miles a year, the bulk of which are on A roads. I regularly return 35-40mpg from my current car, but its now showing its age and I have had a good offer on it ;)

Mid size car, suppose you'd call it a "small family" size.

Moby.

Reply to
Moby

Thanks for the pdf - mpg does look impressive with very little spread - what sort of miles do you drive?

Reply to
Moby

ok, cheers for that, will have a look at their specs.

Moby.

Reply to
Moby

cheers for that, but i think the mondy is a little too big... i should have said i was looking for a mid-sized car, focus or something similar.

Moby.

Reply to
Moby

& how long are you hoping to keep it?
Reply to
Duncan Wood

I've noticed quite a nice 307 in the local peugeot dealership... never really thought of opting for one of those, but I may have a closer look.

Cheers Moby.

Reply to
Moby

For a good 5 years or so...

Moby.

Reply to
Moby

you'll get a 6 speed 130bhp Golf 3 yrs old for that, or a passat if you want larger. 55mpg cruising is no problem, and they pull well in all gears.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp