Whine from radio.

Got a new accompaniment to music on the car radio - a sort of whine which varies with engine speed. Coincided with a hose blowing and spraying some coolant on the alternator. Slip rings contaminated? It's fairly new so shouldn't be worn out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Someone in the boot.

Reply to
Adrian C

take the belt off and see if the noise is still there

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Wet bearing in the alternator?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That sounds like the radio interference you used to get from the dynamo when not sufficiently radio suppressed. It sounds as if whatever served as radio suppression in your alternator has been damaged/bypassed. I'm afraid I don't have the faintest idea how to correct it in modern vehicles, though (you used to be able to buy radio suppressors for dynamos).

Reply to
Howard Neil

Check the cigarette lighter plug for one of these -

TJ

Yes - it's that sort of sound. The suppression is built in these days rather than being external. I just wondered if the slip rings could be dirty causing a poor contact and therefore the interference. Can't see the suppression being damaged by water as regulators are usually potted in something waterproof. Of course it could just be coincidence.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is fantastic!

Just a high-tec version of putting playing cards in spokes of your pushbike.

Reply to
Steven Langdale