whirring noise at startup

Hello,

When I first start my alfa GTV, I hear a fairly loud, high pitched whirring noise which sounds a bit like plastic rubbing coming from the engine compartment which I can feel through the steering wheel... it increases when I am turning the steering wheel. Therefore, I believe it to be something to do with the power steering pump. After a few hundred yards, or running the engine for a bit, it goes away for the rest of the day....

I've tried having a look and can't see anything obvious. Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing it? It certainly seems to be steering related, but I take nothing for granted. It's been getting gradually worse for about a week.

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

wheel...

Have you checked the power steering oil level?

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Could be the power-steering pump belt slipping. I had it once on my car and it was just the belt was old and getting a bit brittle. Once it warmed up it got a bit softer and the noise went away. A new belt sorted it.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

I found that dabbing a bit of oil on the belt from the dipstick made the screeching go away.

Reply to
Makhno

And, presumably, the power assistance? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks for the help all,

The noise was horrendous all because the steering oil was a bit low. I guess it was pumping air around the circiut, or something like that.

Is it normal for power steering to use up some of it's oil and require the occasional top-up?

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect