Whirring noise near timing belt???

I have an L reg 2.0 Mondeo and has recently started making a whirring noise whenever the engine is running it sounds like it is coming from arond the timing belt of the engine, any advice on what it could be?

Reply to
javatiger

Isn't the alternator around that area? Could be dry bearing.

Reply to
Conor

Belt fraying and about to part ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Could it be the water pump?

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

Probably the timing belt and tensioners starting on a downward spiral of doom. However, if it's anything like the M-i-L's 1.8 L-reg, it's not imminent failure (though I'd get it looked at soon) as hers just got worse and worse until it sounded like a bag of spanners strapped to the belt.

Reply to
Scott M