White marks/spot on speedo cluster

Hi,

I was giving my speedo a clean today with a soft dry microfibre cloth and now I have lots of white marks on the cluster :( and one big smear near the bottom left.

I didn't rub I just tried collecting the dust on the cloth. After that I saw the white marks everywhere so I tried a baby wipe which did nothing.

I didn't use any checmicals or anything other than a cloth.

Any idea what I did wrong and how I can correct it.

For some reason it feels as though the spotting is from behind the plastic ..

I wonder is there a way to remove the cluster or the front face to get behind the plastic to clean that and see if it makes any diference ?

I'd be very grateful of any help, I have no idea how this has happened. I have cleaned all my cars the same way with no issue.

Ford focus 1.8 petrol 2004

Reply to
Pete

Wonder if its static created by rubbing the plastic which has made the dust adhere?

Reply to
Rob

Wonder if its static created by rubbing the plastic which has made the dust adhere?

God knows what happened, I've never come across such a problem. Apparently some company called Meguairs? I think it is sell a product called plastX which can help it.

Some sites say try glass cleaner, some say it will make it 100 times worse and possibly crack it! some sites/forums recommend optical glass cleaner some say tooth paste! and one chap say it worked. Not sure if this is true but didn't seem like a bogus thread for some reason. I'm a little reluctant to smear colgate on it lol. Basically said put the amount you brush your teeth with and gently rub it in.

I'm trying to find out if the front alone can be replaced alone as its very distracting as I just seem to stare at it lol.

Reply to
Pete

Can you rub the marks off with a finger, or are they really on the inside? If they're on the outside, warm water and hand soap should do fine, and try to avoid sneezing on the speedo in future.

Reply to
Andrew Morton

It depends on what you're trying to remove, toothpaste's quite abrasive.

Have you tried a clean cloth?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It depends on what you're trying to remove, toothpaste's quite abrasive.

Have you tried a clean cloth?

I have it won't even smear and I'm applying quite a bit of pressure. Very odd.

Reply to
Pete

Hi,

I was giving my speedo a clean today with a soft dry microfibre cloth and now I have lots of white marks on the cluster :( and one big smear near the bottom left.

I didn't rub I just tried collecting the dust on the cloth. After that I saw the white marks everywhere so I tried a baby wipe which did nothing.

I didn't use any checmicals or anything other than a cloth.

Any idea what I did wrong and how I can correct it.

For some reason it feels as though the spotting is from behind the plastic ..

I wonder is there a way to remove the cluster or the front face to get behind the plastic to clean that and see if it makes any diference ?

I'd be very grateful of any help, I have no idea how this has happened. I have cleaned all my cars the same way with no issue.

Ford focus 1.8 petrol 2004

Turns out the local garage reckon its dash cleaner splattered but it can't be as I didn't use any. He said I could use a tiny amount of t-cut and rub it in gently and polish out, it'll do the same as expensive perspecs? cleaner. Not so convinced on that as its quite abrasive I thought.

Reply to
Pete

Try the metallic one 1st, it's finer.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Lint/fluff sticking to already splattered sticky stuff ?

Gray

Reply to
Graham2

You can get a perspex cleaner but don't use any think which mentions cutting in the name.

Reply to
Rob