Why the trend for erasing number plates on ebay photo ads?

Looking at cars on ebay I was wondering why the modern trend for erasing the cars reg on the photos? Whats the secret about showing what the reg is?

Reply to
James Wilson

so the cars isn't cloned.

Reply to
reg

Pity some of them have the reg listed in the details then!

Although having looked for an example it looks like that's all changed now EBay have linked up with HPI...

Reply to
PC Paul

Thats bollocks, and I do know what im talking about with car cloning trust me.

there is no different an ebay pic to a car parked in the street

There are 2 types of car cloning, the ones the pikeys make shit loads of money out of and the type the tarts use to get away with fines for.

Reply to
Essex Computers - Home

Yes there is.

The difference is the fact that an Ebay car is about to be sold, so if Mr Pikey is a bit sharp in applying for the V5, the notification that someone is trying to register the car to themselves will get sent to the original owner, who has just sold the car so will not be surprised to see someone else applying for the docs. So Pikey will receive his V5, do the clone, flog the car, and by the time it all comes on top will be about 3 camps away.

If Mr Pikey applied for a V5 from any old car that has not just been sold, then the owner would not allow the DVLA to re-register his car.

Reply to
SimonJ

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "reg" saying something like:

Aye; there's a real shortage of cars in the streets to clone from.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The point is... it's easier for your not so average scrote to search for the ideal match for whatever vehicle it is they wish to clone, on ebay (amongst other sites), than roaming the streets in the hope of spotting something vaguely suitable to clone the plates from.

That, and finding a good match that doesn't happen to be on your doorstep helps remove some of the elements that may get you rumbled, as in, unless a copper runs your plate through the PNC and gets suspicious as to why a car is so far from its registered territory, you are unlikely to get so easily spotted by any Joe Public that happen to recognise the plate, and know the real owner etc.

Reply to
JackH

But it's such hard work trudging the streets looking for a 1997 Fiat Fandango in Beetroot Red - much easier to let your fingers do the walking ... err hasn't someone already used that phrase.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As well as that, how many streets do you know that have many thousands of cars parked on them and computerized search facilities? If you have a 1996 blue Fiesta that you want a new number for, what are you going to do? Trudge around the streets until you find one, or do a quick search on eBay?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

My number plates got nicked a month after I got my nice shiny new Avensis. Plod said v.common, as they are used to evade bus lane and Ken Tax in London. Several hundred reported a week in my area. Six neighbours have had this.

Now, you might wonder why they'd nick the plates off a 2004 car, when they are almost certainly gonna put them on some clapped out jobbie. I've got personal plates. (yes, poser!). And they could go on a very, very old car.... it won't fool Plod, but the AVC checks on Ken Tax and bus lane cameras mean that they can't go after the perp for the fine. Or me, thankfully.

Both Plod and my garage where I got the new plates recommended Superglue. I was also recommended to make sure I got the original dealer to remake the plates, or it might have looked odd when I traded in or sold the thing.

This, of course, is also yet another hidden effect and cost of Ken Tax.

Ali

Reply to
Ali Hopkins

Why would it look odd if the plates didn't come from the original dealer?

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

The original dealer sold me the car, and the plates had their name on as well. If they aren't the original, it might be a ringer, or damaged in a bump, or had some other nefarious thing happen. The plates cost exactly the same from the dealer as Halford's, so it made sense on all counts.

Ali

Reply to
Ali Hopkins

whata re you suggesting by the fact you know all about car cloning i wonder?

Rremember i wouldnt admit to knowing about cloning cars in a public forum unless you want a visit from the old bill SOON

:-)

Reply to
UKHierarchy

is that so oh wise one, do tell then !

Reply to
reg

Imagine winning an auction for one of these cars, going round to collect it and the number plate really does have a Photoshop type blur on it...

Reply to
Mark W

LOL

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That is complete and utter bollocks.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy.UK

lol there is nothing wrong with having the knoledge although hes actually talking about ringing (thats where you normally sell the vehicle on hence you need the logbook) and not cloning theres a difference when your driving a clone you dont really need the log book (Its helpful to know who the car is registered to in case you get pulled) so you can say i bought it off so and so or its my mate so and so's car.

You normally pick a car from a nice area that is likely to be taxed and have no crime reports on the vehicle that way if you pass through a police anpr camera it will not trigger any alerts and if the police pull you for whatever reason normally they only run the vrm (reg no) so if you have done it right the reply they get will be of a vehicle the same make model colour etc with the desired words "no reports " he may ask whos the car it is hence trying to find out the owner / keeper details you can either say hes a mate or youve just bought it from him within the last week.

Not that i would encourage anyone but if you where tempted to do something along those lines do it with a hire car if your pulled the police will run the plate see its a hire car know its insured and probably wont give a toss.

(The above is for disussion purposes only anyone using these hints does so at there own not very great risk)

Reply to
TDXI

Either that or you've been out on the piss the night before.......:-)

Reply to
zagga