windscreen crack - MOT fail?

Humble Micro showered with stones from nasty lorry thing. While not in line of sight it is obviously a biggy. Is this a certain MOT fail?

dave

yes, it is directly in front of the driver (assuming this is a rhd car) which is zone A and it more than 10mm long

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks. I thought it must fail too, But now I know about Zone A, I looked around and found...

The crack (as bad as it looks) is not anywhere near zone A in that diagram. I may renew anyway though, for safety reasons.

Reply to
dave

dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Looks like it is in the driver side swept area, and if it is the bit between the two large dots, it's a fail. Time to invoke your windscreen cover on your insurance.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

Probably ;-)

But it will probably grow in length until it covers the whole screen anyway. Had a little (10mm) chip that grew slowly over a few months. One day I returned to the car to find the crack across the entire width :-(

Al.

Reply to
Al

Dunno but it will certainly spread very soon. Get it repaired

Reply to
peterwn

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What happens if it's outside the swept area, can it still be a fail? I have a crack on the drivers side in the bottom corner. Starts at the edge of the screen, about 5 cm up and arcs round towards the bottom of the screen. About 10cm long in total. But it's in a position where it isn't swept by the wipers and if it were on the passengers side would be completely covered by the tax disc.

BobC

Reply to
BobC

check your insurance - I paid £75 for a new screen via my insurance and no loss of no-claims

Reply to
Tommy

BobC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

As far as I know it would not be a fail.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

But what about your renewal premium... ;)

Reply to
Darran Ames

But it is more than 4cm long and is definitely within zone B, thus a fail.

Reply to
Brian

I have never had the renewal premium affected by a windscreen claim.

Reply to
Brian

How can you tell?

Reply to
Hooch

Most policies don't ask if you've ever claimed for a windscreen.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't see why they need to ask about *any* claims.

Isn't that why they all have the Motor Insurers Database? I'm sure I saw something about them sharing information on claims etc. so you couldn't claim lots of claim-free years fraudulently...

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from PC Paul contains these words:

But what would generate all the useless paperwork otherwise?

Reply to
Guy King

I can't say I've ever noticed them having a problem thinking of useless bits of paperwork...

Reply to
PC Paul

Its not an MOT fail as it is outside the 'swept area' of the screen. The MOT only applies to damage within the area of the screen that is swept by the wipers.

Reply to
SimonJ

However they've never asked about them so it's never been considered for the loading. Given they make a profit on most things other than heated windscreens I doubt they care.

Reply to
Duncan Wood