Windscreen leak

A friend's car has a windscreen which leaks a small amount of water. Has anyone any recommendations about what to use to seal it?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

car shops sell a special mastic just for that job, seems to work fine on my old camper van.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Would depend on what type of fitment the screen is, how old etc. Rubber seal you may get away with a mastic screen filler that stays soft.

R&R screen is the best way by someone who knows. Them you can check for rust underneath and have that repaired as well.

Reply to
Rob

Tried everything on the bonded in screen on my SD1 with no success - including those much hyped creeping leak cures. Removing and replacing sorted it.

Autoglass fitted a new rear screen which is the older method with a fitted rubber seal - that leaked too. They tried to 'seal' it - but eventually had to remove it and do it again properly - this time with sealer applied to the rubber, instead of dry.

In both cases there was no rust on the body.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the bonded screen on the sd1 was always problematic, when they were used for rallying it was standard procedure to add metal clip bits around the screen to stop it flying out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for your suggestions here.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Thanks for your suggestions here.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I put some wide black PVC tape between the bottom of my Focus windscreen and the cabin filter cover.

6 months on and no further leaks, YMMV !
Reply to
mr p

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:22:26 -0700, mr p wrote: [...]

I achieve the same result by fitting the cover correctly ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan