Windscreen repair kits

Are all kits equally good or is there a 'best buy'? Do they make a successful repair to MOT standard? Any advice welcome.

Tia,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

autoglass do free repairs, they set up at weekends in ikea car parks and the like.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Handy to know, but the car's not taxed, tested or insured as it's a 'rescue' car which I'm preparing for test.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I tried one once- Gunsons IIRC, and all I managed to do was spread the chip into a crack :-(

Reply to
Chris Bartram

And when you come to get a replacement screen from them you realise why they can afford to! Typically 3 times the price of an independent.

Reply to
newshound

Absolutely, but a free repair might be worth having!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If you are in the North Manchester area I know lad that does new Glass for the price of an Autoglass repair.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Thanks for the offer but I'm in the Midlands. I've found a supplier / fitter who does a replacement screen for £100-00 + vat and that's what I'll probably opt for if it fails the test as repairs seem to be generally unreliable.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I did one on my car 5 years ago with a kit obtained from a TV shopping channel! It was for a cracked stone chip. That was a few MOTs ago and it's still excellent. In particular, the cracks have been eliminated from view. I'd expect a professional outfit to do at least as well.

Reply to
Zathras

=======================================

It seems that repairs need to be done promptly to prevent ingress of dirt and / or moisture. The longer the damage is left before repair the less successful it's likely to be. The repairer I spoke to locally was reluctant to do my job because it's old damage and would probably fail for the reasons given.

I prefer to let the damage (measures almost exactly 10mm) be tested by the MOT and if it fails I will replace the screen as I'm refurbishing the car for hopefully extended use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Other thing to watch out for is if the size of the crack. Friend called out Autoglass for a new crack and they said he'd have to leave it as it was too narrow to get the 'glue' in.

Reply to
pjlusenet

also, autoglass promise that their repairs will pass the mot, that is not always true, it is then difficult to get the repair cost back (if you pay in the first place)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Indeed.

Reply to