winter tyres

Hi,

Is it fair to say I have left it too late to get winter tyres at a good price? I didn't buy earlier in the year as I was about to change car and didn't know what size I would end up needing.

In the past I bought Nokian. I think the first "model" I fitted was WG. When they became worn, that model had been discontinued and was replaced by WRG2, which I fitted. I can't say how good they were because I didn't drive much in the snow and I didn't drive like a maniac but perhaps the fact that my driving was uneventful shows they worked?

I got lazy and rightly or wrongly didn't buy any summer tyres, so left them on all year and then sold the car.

I wasn't sure whether to fit Nokian tyres again, since it is the brand I have always used. I have heard that Vredestein are supposed to make good winter tyres too.

I think the Nokian WRG2 have been replaced by WRA and WRD models but I can't find many places selling them. I thought they were about £90/corner the last time I looked but now the going price seems to be about £120. Ouch! And it's not even cold yet. I wonder how much they will go up then?

If only I had a crystal ball to see how much snow we will get this year and whether they will be worth it.

TIA Fred

PS Is it me or is the price of second hand rims going up too? Perhaps after last year more people are getting a second set of tyres?

Reply to
Fred