Wiper parking

So, why would a perfectly functioning rear wiper suddenly stop parking itself and just come to rest wherever I happen to release the lever, the lazy bastard?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Could be a poor connection at the multiplug.

Reply to
Adrian

I will investigate, ta.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Could also be the usual poor contact or fractured wire to the tailgate, depending on if it's contacts or wire-by-hinge.

The parking on my front wiper can be a bit iffy, depending on the weather, believe it or not. I've just got to get round to dismantling the scuttle plastic and getting in to the multiplug with a can of contact cleaner.

Reply to
Adrian

Or even if you get lucky, the little contact in the motor failing.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The motor has a permanent (ignition switched) power supply. When you turn the wipers on you add a second supply which keeps the motor running till you turn the wipers off. when you turn them off, the permanent supply keeps them going till the cut out contact in the motor stops them (in the park position)

Therefore, either there is a failure in the permanent supply, or the contact for parking in the motor has failed. Most likely is that you have a bad connection at a pin and contact (usually fords) or a broken wire to the tailgate.

Easiest way to troubleshoot is with the covers off the wiper, close the boot and sit inside, ign on. wipers off, check that you have a power supply to the motor, if you have, it is the contact in the motor giving trouble, if not, then it is a wiring/connector fault.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

That's not lucky, that's a sodding nuisance. You have to take the wiper gearbox apart and fettle it when that happens.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

And after all that, and putting it all back together, you find it does exactly the same thing in a month's time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Often - though I've had one last several years and as far as I know it's still going on my old Montego.

Reply to
Guy King

Exactly what happened to my Fiesta. Just took a minor clean to the contact points in the boot and hey presto -parking restored.

Reply to
loony