Worth taking up with Honda?

Friend of mine's Honda CV-R 2.2 diesel has just blown up and need a new engine - it's just outside warranty. Only done 34,000 miles. Friend reports: 'Garage tells me there was a fault in the oil pump, which meant oil wasn't circulating properly, which meant the engine seized and in the process the head gasket (?) and pistons have been damaged and to replace all the individual parts would be more expensive than to replace the whole.'

Is this worth taking up with Honda, especially as the irony is that these are said to be so reliable and also recent meaning that there are few recon engines around...?

E.

Reply to
eastender

Does it have a full dealer service history?

If so, I would certainly be looking for a contribution towards the cost.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sadly, she didn't do the last service, although that was only recently. She says it had enough oil but I'm wondering...

E.

Reply to
eastender

That'll probably remove any chance of Honda helping. They could easily (and fairly) say that it just ran out of oil over the previous 12 months/12k (or whatever) miles, and the service may have noticed the problem and fixed it before it caused any damage.

David Hearn

It might help to know what the garage said was wrong with the oil pump, and how much oil drained out when they looked at it, if they did so.

Reply to
Mark W

No, leave it and buy another one. Use a bit of common sense - surely your friend doesn't need you to ask such a silly question on his behalf? Will he just leave it unless you tell him to complain? Next you will be asking what to say and for the phone number.

Reply to
Rob

Well that explains a lot, she probably didn't know how to check the oil or how to top it up. That's more likely to have been the cause of the fault - together with lack of servicing at the required intervals. Fancy getting a nice car and then blowing it up by neglecting it.

Reply to
Rob

She is totally screwed then. Service intervals are there for a reason, and todays very long intervals are the absolute MAXimum time / distance that should pass between service work.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

if she is fully comprehensive might be worth checking with her car insurance company .

Reply to
reg

They never cover mechanical damage such as this.

Reply to
Graz

...yes fancy! Well, that's girls for you, I guess! They don't know nothing! Tsk! I'd still like more information about the diagnosis on the car before condemning the poor ignorant female owner.

Reply to
Mark W

Why don't you either

a) Post some useful, non-condescending advice

or

b) Fuck off

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

As usual, Mr Condecending pipes up speaking the usual unhelpful stuff.

IME it's NOT likely to be the cause of the fault. I would want to know what the "fault" with the oil pump was first of all. I've had *plenty* of cars that use oil, they don't just "run out" without warning/noise.

How far past the service interval was it? I'd write to Honda UK, be very nice and see what they say..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

In article ,

Thanks - indeed as surmised this is a female friend but she's 100 miles away so i can't help much. I think it was only a month past the service. I've told her to get her garage to write a report about the exact nature of the fault and whether there was sufficient oil. Like you I'd expect at least an oil warning or some diagnostic in such a modern low milage car and these Honda engines, I'm guessing, are built like tanks.

E.

Reply to
eastender

In the case of Ford, they give you 1 month or 1,000 miles (whichever is sooner) past the actual service due point before they claim the warranty is void. Does Honda do this? If so, is this 1 month past a 1 month grace period, or just 1 month since service was due?

David Hearn

In message , eastender writes

Was it past a scheduled service by time or mileage? Either way refusing a warranty claim for an engine because the oil pump had failed only a month over a scheduled service is harsh, the oil pump wouldn't have been part of the service and would likely have failed anyway. I'd be writing very strongly worded letters to the dealer principle and if that failed to Honda UK. I'd also not give up if it's still under the Honda warranty. If it's under a dealer warranty then I'd be playing them off against Honda UK.

It's worth being awkward and not giving up.

Long story cut down, previous employer had 2.2TD Renault Laguna, it dropped a valve seat at around 40k destroying the engine and turbo, dealer refused warranty because it was 4K past its service but lots of hard letters to Renault UK and the dealer got a new engine fitted with no labour charges and half price.

Reply to
Clint Sharp
[...]

It's not a warranty claim; it's outside of the warranty period.

If it was inside the warranty period, but slightly over the service interval you would stand a chance.

If it had a full service record, but was just outside the warranty period you would stand a chance.

As things are, I wouldn't be too hopeful if it was my car...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Engine, car, female friend? Can you be a little less obscure with your tripe? Then we know how to properly aim the insults.

Reply to
Elder