Wrong direction cyclist crashes into side of car

Cyclist on wrong side of road goes too fast down a hill and piles into the side of a car trying to pull out. I hope he had insurance and is prosecuted for careless cycling.

Mrcheerful

"Mervin said: ?He was cycling down the hill in the cycle lane facing the oncoming traffic, I didn?t think to look to my left as the cyclist shouldn?t have been there.?

But Mervin said cyclists going in the wrong direction down Sticklepath Hill was an ongoing problem."

Umm, Mervin, dear...

Reply to
Adrian

?I have had a few near misses in the past, but that was the first time I have been involved in an accident.

I?m afraid it won?t be the last though, something really needs to be done before someone is seriously injured or worse.?

Oh dear...

Reply to
David Taylor

Well, quite. Even allowing for the filter of a local press journo, I don't think the solution is quite what he thinks it is. Reminds me of some of the posters here.

"He shouldn't have been there, so I drove into him to teach him a lesson".

Reply to
Adrian

Umm, Adrienne, what does this have to do with the maintenance of Ukrainian car wrecks?

Reply to
The Revd

;-) Motorist pulls out of drive without looking both ways to check for approaching traffic.

Reply to
Gordon H

What happened to that silly cow who drove into a cyclist, f***ed off then boasted about it a few minutes later on Twitter?

Reply to
Paul J

Initial traffic should only be approaching from the right in the UK

Reply to
Mrcheerful

One way street? Overtaking vehicle? You should look both ways before pulling out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 05:36:13 -0700, The Rectum, the resident psychopath of sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, FAKING his time zone again, farted:

"Shining" with your retardation again, retard?

Reply to
The Peeler

joining a normal two way street of adequate width, waiting for a gap from the right, traffic slows to let you out and a bicycle slams into you while from your left while you are still on the pavement/crossing the cycle path, which is a one way cycle path from the right (same as the traffic)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Of course there could have been a pedestrian coming from the left. Face it the car driver is a plonker who doesn't look.

Reply to
Paul J

A bit harsh. It's quite possible that he did glance but you don't tend to see what you don't *expect* to see, namely a cyclist heading as speed in the wrong direction. I'm sure we've all made hurried exits into traffic when flashed on by another motorist (and yes, I know that this isn't how lights are supposed to be used, but in the real world, it happens all the time).

I'm not saying he's blameless either, just that there are mitigating circumstances.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Small detail :- He's then quoted as saying how often cyclists do _precisely_ that...

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah but, let's not lose sight of the fact that it was the cyclist who was being a d*****ad (and I'm speaking here as a CTC member and regular cyclist) Yes, maybe the motorist should have seen him if it was a fairly regular occurrence but any cyclist who flouts the rules of the road so dangerously gets little sympathy from me.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I never said otherwise, merely that there were two dickheads involved.

Reply to
Adrian

True, but I know who I consider the greater of the two.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

the cyclist was going downhill at speed, a pedestrian would be in sight for a long while before reaching you. also a pedestrian would be likely to be on the pavement rather than the cycle path.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Many cycle lanes (is this one pavement or road?) are bidirectional. The council say it is marked as to direction now, but no mention as to whether it was at the time. It's commonly used "wrong-way".

Yet he still said "I didn't think I needed to look left because he shouldn't have been there".

I call it 75/25, with the cyclist being let off lighter.

Reply to
Adrian

20mph?

In five seconds, a cyclist at 20mph would travel 45m - just over twice the minimum distance for _reading_ a number plate (and that's too lenient by far).

If somebody is claiming their inability to see a cyclist 45m away as a defence for hitting them, I'm not sure it should have the effect they hope...

Reply to
Adrian