Wrong timing or Big end bearing gone?!

Hi, I just noticed some strange noise come out from the engine(CG10 1.0

16v).

The engine is fine for low revs, you cannot hear any knocking. When the revs goes up, there are some knocking come from the engine sounds like the big end bearing.

There are two assumptions so far:

1.Big end bearing gone? I have tried using 5th gear at low speed and clamb a hill, there is NO knocking noise and the engine only done 60K, So I start to suspect somewhere else went wrong.

2.Timing? If the timing is wrong, Shouldn't it knocking at low revs not at high?? And the micra haven't got a distributor so you cannot adjust the timing by yourself?

Does anyone have any idea? I really couldn't define what the problem is... Or maybe I just don't want to admit it is the big end bearing...

Reply to
skyline0023

Does it get worse or better as the engine warms up? Big ends and most bearings get worse warm, piston slap which can be quite noisy gets better. Gentle acceleration usually quietens big ends. Pinking due to advanced timing or hot spots (burnt valve/lots of carbon) that's bad enough to knock heavily sounds rather like a hammer on an anvil and will be worse when hot and heavily loading the engine (like your hill climb did).

Reply to
SteveB

IME, the big ends rattle at low revs, and stop at high revs, because of the extra cushion of oil.

ISTR that knocking at high revs is little ends.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It doesn't burn oil, no overheating, start staight away when cold & hot. Basiclly, It doesn't have any sign shown the bearing gone apart from that noise.

Thanks for reply

Any idea?

Reply to
skyline0023

Probably something else entirely then, pop down the garage, but unless you've been driving it with no oil it's probably going to be something much cheaper, like an engine mount.

Reply to
Duncanwood