Xantia

Just accuired an m-plate xantia turbo diesel,guy told me the timing belt was done 6,000 miles ago etc,problem with it is the engine has dropped or snapped of the engine mounts,it seems to have given way at the side as in where the bolts for the mount go into the head/block,i assume thats right can anbody shed some light on the timing and mount arrangements,the engine is still ok as the belt hasn't slipped so looking at a new belt at least. Help would be appreciated

Si

Reply to
simon

It would be easier to help if we could read what the heck you're on about. Don't they teach punctuation and grammar any more?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

dont know what i'm on about?so why bother giving a sarcastic comment to make me look stupid, when infact if you were machanically minded would know what i mean.Hope all the spelling is correct.

Si,

Reply to
simon

simon ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do they teach "Irony" these days?

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "simon" contains these words:

It's still pretty nearly gibberish.

You say the belt hasn't slipped but say that you need a new belt. It's not entirely clear what information you are asking for.

Reply to
Guy King

Well I can't work out whether you mean the engine mounts broken or the engines broken & why you're talking about the cambelt slipping.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

My translation of the original is that the engine mount on the belt end of the engine has fallen out - possibly stripped threads in the head.

On this engine, the mount goes through the middle of the cambelt, and needs to be removed (and the engine supported) to do the belt.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

So what's his problem? Buy a Haynes BoL and get on with it.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or even a dictionary...

I suspect that the ham-fisted muppets that did it last time may have stripped the threads for the mount, thus causing the motor to sag.

If, indeed, that's what's happened.

Reply to
Adrian

No it doesn't, you muppet. Let me give you an English lesson on your reply.

It reads ok to me [full stop] Punctuation marks [inserted] as [] required [full stop] Could it be you just don[']t know what [I]'m on about? [S]o why bother giving a sarcastic response to make me look stupid, when in[ ] fact if you were m[e]chanically minded [you] would know what [I] mean [?] Hope all the spelling is correct.

Now your response is almost as bad as your initial post. I would like to help you, that's why I drop in here now and again and I do own a Xantia so I might just be able to help. But, if I, and quite a few others, cannot understand your post we can't help you can we?

HTH HAND

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

And will shortly lose patience and give up trying.

Reply to
Guy King

The drivebelt (I believe they call it nowadays) or alternator belt also runs round that mount, so it is possible he's talking about that.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

worn part of them away as there is only running clearance between belt and mounting. Note that the tensioner is part of the engine mount and that the mount is dowelled onto the head . steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

teeth,also the cam has snapped, Do apollogise to those who have responded with not being able to understand the origonal post. The tensioner seems to be ok,but regarding the mount it appears that it has

4studs which hold it on, one has snapped flush with the block,any ideas on how to remove it? Si
Reply to
simon

The message from "simon" contains these words:

My absolute favourite way of removing snapped off studs is with a left hand drill - the heat and torque generated brings 'em out a treat, but such things are not easily available, and it's hard to to it without a drillpress - which would mean having the block on the bench usually.

If you're going to use easy-outs, a sort of very coarse tapering screw with a left-hand thread, beware of cheap ones which snap off easier than a carrot and leave you with a bloody hard fragment stuck in the hole, which is a sod to remove to try again. I'd use 'em - but carefully and get good ones.

Reply to
Guy King

They work pretty well in a decent cordless.

Reply to
DuncanWood