Xantia broken cambelt

The cambelt on my friend's P-reg Citroen Xantia (1800 petrol manual) has broken. It broke just after pulling away from a parking space.

Does anyone know if this will have b*gg*red anything up in the engine, like valves meeting pistons etc., or will it in effect just be a new cambelt required ?

Also, any ideas of a typical cost to get this repaired at a local (non-dealer) garage ?

Given that I have changed cambelts on other cars before, would this job be a nasty one, with poor access, special tools etc., or is it fairly straight forward ?

Many thanks for any info.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

it will be scrap, walk away steadily, do not get involved.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My 1800 R reg Xantia 1.8 16v snapped it's cambelt. It bent some valves and cracked the head. I was quoted £500 inc vat to repair it using a secondhand head, new cambelt , tensioners and waterpump.

I sold it on ebay for £200 instead.

HTH

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

so its not an intervention free one (or whatever the correct phrase ) ?

My Mazda MX5 has I'm told one which if the belt goes does not bu55er the engine, I thought I remembered a colleagues AX being the same?

Reply to
Tommy

mx5 is a 'freewheeling' engine, xantia is an 'interference'

ax is as far as I know interference, certainly several of the engine sizes are

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yep Ax is interference unless you`re very very lucky Xantia is usualy deadly to the engine.

Reply to
Tim-mz500r

I had my suspicions this should go to that great scrapyard in the sky, and your responses seem to support that. Looks like it's time for my friend to break open her piggy-bank.

Cheer, Guys

Reply to
Jeff

pity she didn't do that before and have it serviced !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful