Xantia diesel turbo/ecu problem. The solution

Well partly anyway. The EGR valve is being held open by something according to the chap at the garage. He's disabled it temporarily and lo, all is fine. It's not a stuck valve because removing the power to it and the fast idle (which was also stuck on) cures it.

Now all he/I have to do is find out why it's being held open.

Reply to
Malc

Better leave it permanently disabled IMHO.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

some kind of grounding problem?

Reply to
Stuart Gray

If that won't damage the car then it's certainly a good option.

Reply to
Malc

The engine will last substantially longer with it disabled.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

perform better and be slightly better on fuel too.

EGR is the work of the devil.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What about emissions come MOT time?

Reply to
Malc

Nitrous Oxide emissions will be slightly increased. The only emission tested for in a diesel at the MOT is soot. If only a small percentage of cars have their EGR disabled at any one time then the total extra emission from all vehicles is likely to be infinitesimally small. So don't worry about it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

How does one disable such a device...

Mine has a loose connected small dia rubber/pvc pipe that seems to provide a very small amount of vacuum and of course the connection to the exhaust....

Would simply pulling off the small dia pipe do the trick?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

The message from "Tom Burton" contains these words:

Take the pipe off where it connects to the manifold and make a new gasket out of a tin can, only fail to actually make a hole in the middle.

Reply to
Guy King

There are probably two main valves that need disabling. One is the one that is somewhere near the inlet manifold and connects to a stainless pipe from the exhaust side and is the exhaust gas valve. The second is on the inlet pipe between the intercooler and the inlet manifold and is essentially a throttle valve. Both are controlled by vacuum through small [capillary] tubes. These can be taken off the valves and either blocked or doubled back and tied to stop air leaking in. The valve side does not need blanking off.

Some vehicle ECU's will detect a disabled EGR system and flash a nasty warning light on the dash. If there is no other symptom like the engine going into 'limp home' mode, then I would take the bulb out if possible.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Hmmm... see Andy Hewitt's posting in the "supermarket petrol" thread.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

And supermarket diesel relates to the EGR valve in what way? I use fuel from wherever is cheapest/most convenient. In general I use either Sainsbury's or Esso as the two garages are the same price. I can't honestly say I've ever noticed any difference.

Reply to
Malc

just making a link between two faults. This EGR valve is being held open, Andy (who has vast professional experience) reports on gummed EGR valves.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Ah, I missed that. But anyway the fault goes away when the EGR solenoid is disconnected or something so I don't think it's the fuel.

Reply to
Malc