Xantia TA losing power / injector warning light

After running normally, this morning my 97 Xantia had a hard time starting, when it did eventually start, the revs quickly dropped and the engine died.

After a few tries I could rev the engine and the revs would remain high and constant for a few seconds, the injector warning light would come on, and the revs quickly drop. Sometimes it will recover - the revs raise again and the light goes off. Other times they will drop to idling speed, the light remains on and putting a foot on the gas has no effect whatsoever. After letting it idle for a while I can then rev it, and the pattern continues,

The fuel filter is recent and clean - what should I do next?

Reply to
xstudiosound

check for air getting into the fuel system ?

Reply to
bongo rule

"bongo rule"

Bongo owner ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick (Scots)

Try telling us what engine it has for a start, Petrol? Diesel?

Reply to
SimonJ