Xsara hdi 110 engine light problem (and garage runaround)

Hi ive got a fault light which comes on when I am doing 70 mph , generally at the top of a hill. The engine fault code I think is p246, which is I think is "solenoid a wastgate high". Initially the problem started when I was accelerating up the morway slip ramp (hill). It was sluggish (foot flat on floor), and then when it did eventually reach 70 the light came on and it went into limp home mode ( wouldnt allow revs over 3000 rpm). I think after all the following shanagins this is a bit better but still seams a bit sluggish at 2000-3000 rpm, and the !*&! engine management light still comes on .

The car is a 2002 xsara 110 hdi with 100k on the clock.

The garages seam worse than useless at fixing it. First they replaced the airmass meter. When that didnt fix it they tried cleaning the intercooler of oil. That didnt work , they recomended another garage. They said a sensor was broken on the intercooler (I think probably caused by first one cleaning it).Fitted a new intercooler. That still has not fixed it. In the mean time our exhaust falls off. We replace whole exhaust system at a exhaust center. Take back to garage again and they say that head gasket has gone. Looks like one bit of good luck because the head gasket was replaced shortly before we bought

the car, (by a different dealer) and was still under guarantee. However take it to that dealer leave it with them and they phone us back a couple of hours later and say that they have tested the gasket and its fine. Both dealers claim to have used a sniffer probe and one says the head gasket is fine and on e says its gone . That dealer is now saying that there is some problem with the cat blocking up bit, and that that could be the problem. We had the light come on with the old exhaust a few months before it broke and with the new exhaust (its only been fitted about a week).

All we seam to be getting is the run around, and no nearer to fixing the actual problem. Any help/ suggestions would be apprecieted. P.s. not quite sure if it comes on whilst im accelerating or just after Ive finished. Though light then stays permanently and car goes into limp home mode. Though works again after turning engine off/on but light stays on until reset by dealer.

Reply to
Paul