xsara - squeaky suspension? brakes?

Have a couple of slight probs with a 98 Xsara TD estate, the main one being an intermittent loudish squeak when hitting a bump. It seems to be when the front o/s wheel hits a bump or hole & almost sounds like it's coming from inside the car (seems unlikely). Did a 200 mile trip last week & heard it a couple of times at the start of journey, then nothing. Apparently it happens all the time when my wife is driving (on her own)! Also, the brake pedal seems very light, & doesn't seem to do much until it is pressed nearly all the way down. This may be quite normal, but my old BX seemed much more "positive". I should add that I have only had the Xsara for a few weeks! Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

Reply to
paul wood

Can't help with the squeak, but as for the brakes I think you'll find that this difference between BX and Xsara is completely normal. These two models have a totally different braking system setup.

The Xsara is completely conventional with a master cylinder and servo, whilst the BX has a high pressure system fed from an engine driven hydraulic pump and has very 'sharp' brakes as a result. I would only worry about the Xsara's brakes if they feel poor in relation to a 'normal' car - i.e., not a BX ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read