Xtrail bit of an update

So, just hooked my proper lab scope up and it turns out that the co-relation between the cam and crank sensors shows that the timing (as they report it to the ecm) is 1 tooth out when cold and drifts in to just under 1/2 tooth out when hot. Not enough to trigger a DTC, but clearly enough to effect how it runs.

This despite all the mechanical marks lining up. Apparently this is absolutely typical for a worn lower chain.

Doesn't explain why the engine ran ok in the other car, but have also been told that once the bottom chain wears, it does so extremely quickly.

Hmm, car the engine came from had done 40k miles from new and it had already had the modified top tensioner fitted...

Reply to
Lee

I did ask about chain stretch !

Originally Nissan said 9000 mile oil changes as were the petrol engines, then somewhere around 2006 went to 12500. Both are too long.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

True oil change intervals should be calculated according to actual use. A car which cruises the motorways all day is nothing like so 'hard' on the oil as one used for short town journeys.

BMW (and others) 'discovered' this many years ago. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The other day a car dealer phoned me to demand to know why I had serviced a car they had bought twice within the same year (10months) with only 3k between. I explained that the previous owner drove less than two miles to the station each day and leaving the oil in longer would be damaging. It was a Mercedes and the service light had come up each time, so presumably they also note how many starts, length of journey etc. It was the strangest serious call I can remember receiving.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Perhaps so, however my 2015 X3 (b47 20d 190) suggests it doesn't need servicing until it's clocked 18k; mostly A road runs. It can think what it likes, but will be having fresh oil at 9k.

Ran a previous E46 M43tu 1.9 to 175k with 7-8k changes and the motor at least was fresh as a daisy after that mileage.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

Well, my E39 528 runs like new too. And has only had oil changes when the service indicator said to.

Before you can truly say there is any benefit in changing oil early, you'd need to compare to one which isn't.

But the fact is that on most high miles cars servicing gets neglected, as their value is now low. A different ball game.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

New chain kit and a replacement injector (failed the sustained pressure leakoff test) and it now runs properly.

Still doesn't explain why it ran perfectly ok in the other car, or for that matter why it apparently needed another chain kit at only 40k odd miles.

Still, it's finally fixed. Though for how long remains to be seen...

Reply to
Lee

What brand of timing chain was used?

Reply to
Tim

This one is branded BGA, it's also from a trusted supplier, so we shall see...

Reply to
Lee

Just realised you may have been asking about the failed one, no idea. The car the engine was from had only done 40K ish miles, so just assumed it was original.

Doesn't necessarily mean it was though, I guess :)

Reply to
Lee

Oh dear. Don't expect it to last very long and the warranty non-existent. Least you will be well practiced in taking it apart!!!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

"Tim @hotmail.com>"

BGA (British Gasket Association) is a very well respected OE quality supplier. I used to use a lot of their stuff when I was building race engines and never had a single problem. I believe they used to make the OE gaskets for Cooper Payen back in the day.

As for timing chains in particular, because Reynold chain has a long established dimensional and material specification it's one of the least likely things for a manufacturer to mess up.

Reply to
Dave Baker

IME, I wish I could still agree with you.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

On 16/07/2015 11:54, Tim

lots of people here saying bga is to be avoided:

anything that is difficult to change and may cause massive expense on failure is usually best replaced with genuine bits.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hadn't seen that...I did read a few other places where they thought they were ok. I guess we'll see soon enough.. I'd be surprised if the factor concerned knowingly supplied iffy bits though, they are normally regarded as pretty good. No, I'm not going to name them, because people will still criticise :)

Wouldn't argue that if Nissan's prices were even the extortionate side of reasonable, but gouging doesn't even begin to describe it :( :(

Reply to
Lee

That the value is low is of no relevance if the car gives the transport you need. Cost of oil changes are dwarfed by cost of fuel. Some old cars have intrinsic little value £200, but runs well and will go on forever. people are just buying the wrong cars...

Reply to
johannes