Yaris died while driving

Hi all

Wifes 2002 Yaris TS just died 100 yards from its start position (home). No electrics whatsoever. Wife claimed that when it died she was unable to restart but able to switch on the hazard lights which then failed pretty soon after.

I've pulled the battery and it's taking quite a bit of current to recharge so i'm guessing a short has occured somewhere.

Anyone have an idea where to start looking?

thanks for anything useful to work with.

Reply to
Dan

The diode pack in the alternator could have gone short.

Reply to
rp

would that cause some of the bigger fuses to fail? I've not checked them due to lack of light. Fusible links gone maybe?

I'm fishing i know but this happened on an old Escort of mine years ago "fusible link" gone but no story told to me as to why.

Reply to
Dan

Re-fit battery & positive lead. Touch negative lead - if big spark then your short is still there. Disconnect alternator and see if fault has gone. Repeat with other major electrical components as required.

Reply to
Alan Deane
[...]

Or connect something like a headlamp bulb between the negative lead and the battery; if the bulb glows near full brightness, the short is still there.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

+1
Reply to
David

refitted battery tonight and everything seems ok. 13.9v at battery terminals with engine running at idle. Very odd.

Reply to
Dan

only got what I think to be a normal spark when refitting the negative lead, nothing major and the car starts and runs AOK.

Reply to
Dan

IIRC there was some problem on those with earth connections under the bonnet. It would be quite possible for a bad engine or ECU earth to re-make itself after being left for a while. So have a hunt around.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

ok, thanks MrC

Reply to
Dan

Three stages when checking the battery with a multi meter.

without the car running, with the car running and when you rev it up.

these should be distinctive voltages.

firstly the condition of the battery, secondly to see if the alternator is charging, which the voltage should indicate a rise from idle to 2000 revs.

I would have thought the charging voltage should be higher than 13.9 and go over 14V. and a fully charge battery is higher than 12v

Reply to
Rob