zafira 2001 corroded brake pipes

hi all had to have any brake pipes fitted on a zafira mine is an

2001 zafira dti just took it for an mot and they said it had failed on corroded brake pipes surely the brake pipes should last longer than this i thought this would happen on a cars that was much older any help

appreciated thx

Reply to
daz33

( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Vauxhall, innit... My father had an A-reg Cavalier estate which failed it's first MOT on rusty brake pipes.

Seriously - I'm very surprised. I'd have thought they'd be plastic coated. Ask them to put the car up on the ramp and show you.

Reply to
Adrian

You normally get that in places where they will do repairs aswell as MOTs. Managers in fast fit garages often pressurise the staff to make as much money out of customers as possible. With women they give it the brake treatment saying how dangerous it is, with men it is the shock absorbers. don't forget sales people LIE to earn a living.

Reply to
Paul

ive failed a 4 year old car on rusty brake pipes, the guy used it to trailer a boat in and out of the local slipway, the whole of the under neath looked like it had been dipped in a salt bath !!!!

Reply to
reg

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm, it *had*...

Reply to
Adrian

That's bad, I have to say. I'd expect any car to reach at least it's

10th birthday before needing brake pipes.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

Either your keyboard is broken or you're an illiterate halfwit.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Once did a Lada Samara that failed it's very first MOT on every single=20 brake pipe.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..............?????

Help yourself.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You have put the wind up me as mine is in that age bracket, what area did brake pipes fail ? Front, rear, running front to back by sill etc ?

Gio

Reply to
Gio

This does seem rather soon. It can be easy to mistake the flaking plastic coating on modern pipes for rust and would normally give them a light scraping to satisfy myself one way or the other

Reply to
Dave

I've just acquired a 92K Cavalier 1.8 with 201,000 miles showing and 9 months MOT which has never had brake pipes, and they still looked okay. Even the electric aerial still worked properly. Can't say the same for the rear wheelarches and the petrol tank though..................... :-)

Reply to
Doctor D

Doctor D ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You poor sod...

And how many not showing?

Reply to
Adrian

LOL! It's a stop gap for my brother who sold his proppa mota ready to emigrate at the end of the month. I drove it from Southampton to Worcestershire, gave it a service and he's now running around Cardiff in it. I wasn't expecting much (and it's white!) but it's surprisingly good. It stops, goes and steers well, and when he goes I'll give it to someone else. Bizarrely I've already got two people wanting it!

The last owner had it 10 years, only two owners from new. The first keeper sold it at 4 years old with 80,000 miles and a stamped up service book. I've got every MOT and bill since then so I know it's genuine, but with cars worth less than a couple of hundred does mileage matter if it goes and has MOT?

Reply to
Doctor D

I have a '90 carlton and all the pipes are fine even though the rest of the car has rust on almost every panel.

Reply to
adder1969