Zafira Light Problem...

I've got a 52 plate Zafira and strange things are happening to the lights.

When I turn the light control knob onto the 1st position the dim headlights come on but when I turn the knob to position 2 the main headlights do not light up, however...if I push the full beam stick forward the full beam doesnt come on but instead the main headlights come on!! (as would normally happen if the knob was at position 2)

I dunno if this makes any sense, so I'll do a quick chart.......

knob position 1 = Dim lights (OK) knob position 2 = Dim lights no head lights (BAD) knob position 2 + Full Beam stick pushed forward = Head lights, no full beam (BAD)

I can get the main headlights to come on if I turn on the full beam, but I can't get the full beam to come on at all!

I'm confusing myself now, sorry but I don't know the correct terms for the light positions.

Fuse problem?

Where is the fusebox BTW?

Reply to
lipraloof

First to clarify the problem. This is how it should work (using the correct terms)- Position 1 - with ignition switched off, you should get side lights only. Ignition on, you should have side lights and the dipped beam bulb on partially (dim dip). Position 2 - Headlights on fully. With main/dip switch forward, main beam should be on, with it in the centre, dipped beam should be on, with it held back main beam should be on.

But from what you're saying, it just sounds as though dipped beam isn't working. With the ignition switched off, turn the side lights on, and check how bright the headlights are. Now turn the ignition on, and check again. The headlights should be noticeably brighter, but not on full power. If the lights don't get brighter, first check the bulbs. If they do get brighter, then there is something wrong with the switching side of things.

Reply to
moray

Thanks for the reply.

The lights did not get any brighter once i turned the ignition on.

Engine off - switch @ position 1 = very dim lights Engine on - switch @ position 1 = very dim lights

I had a look at the bulbs and they both appear fine.

It's weird as this started when i had pulled into a petrol station and filled up, I switched off the engine and all electrics, i paid for my fuel then returned to the car and i instantly noticed that the lights were much dimmer.

Reply to
lipraloof

Thanks for the reply.

The lights did not get any brighter once i turned the ignition on.

Engine off - switch @ position 1 = very dim lights Engine on - switch @ position 1 = very dim lights

I had a look at the bulbs and they both appear fine.

It's weird as this started when i had pulled into a petrol station and filled up, I switched off the engine and all electrics, i paid for my fuel then returned to the car and i instantly noticed that the lights were much dimmer.

Reply to
lipraloof

If I remember correctly (not had to do much work on Zafiras lately), then both main and dipped beam bulbs are the same, so try swapping them around to definately rule out the bulbs (only need to do it on one side).

If it's not the bulbs, then the fault has got to lie either in the switch, or somewhere upto the fuses (each headlight is fused seperatly). First I'd be checking to see if the fuses are ok, and if there's any power getting to them. If there's power at the fuses, then the fault lies in the wiring between there and the bulbs (unlikely considering both bulbs aren't working). Next thing is to find the dipped beam relay, which should be in the fusebox. To find it, keep turning the main light switch from position 1 to 2, and listening/feeling for what relay clicks (if any!). Remove it, and using a short bit of wire, bridge the contacts for where the relay switching contact pins should plug in (should be marked 30 + 87 on the relay if it's a standard marked relay, but there should be a small wiring diagram on the relay if it's not - some pins are numbered 1-4or5). If the headlights now work, next thing to check is if the relay is being powered up. Using a test lamp, connect it across the other two contacts for the relay in the fuse box, and turn the dipped beam on. If the bulb lights up, the relay is faulty. If it doesn't, then the fault is in the switching side, in which case the switch will have to be checked. But Zafiras do have a body control module, which may also have something to do with the headlights (I'm not entirely sure just how much the BCM actually controls on Zafiras), but the fault is more likely to be in the column switch.

And in case you've still not found the fuse box, I'm pretty sure it's above the pedals (cover should be held on with quarter turn screws, that can be turned using a penny/flat screwdriver).

Reply to
moray

I'm so embarrassed.

It turned out to be the bulbs, both of them!

I removed the bulbs and saw no damage to the coil, everything looked ok, but I tried a replacement and it worked.......doh!

Thanks very much for your help.

Reply to
lipraloof