zetec autos

Hi. Haven't got much dough but looking to buy a 1.6 zetec automatic. Its like to have more than 75000 on the clock. At what mileage do the zetec auto gearboxes start being reluctant to go thru the gears?

Thanks.

Reply to
Arthur R

What sort of auto are you talking about?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

presume you mean auto or semi-auto. I'm assuming my money will only stretch to std auto.

Reply to
Arthur R

Are you referring to some sort of Ford by any chance?

Confusingly, Ford use 'Zetec' as both the code name for a range of engines, and as a trim level for various models.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've no idea what a 'zetec' is, other than it being a term Ford uses for some of its engines, etc.

Fords have used autos for perhaps 50 years.

There are several different varieties of auto boxes.

You'd need to specify the exact model and year of the car you're interested in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Sorry

Reply to
Arthur R

I am just going off to give a horse an intravenous drip.

Reply to
MrCheerful

This is a fun game. Can we all play?

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

Am I having a 'whoosh' moment?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If ye dinna mind I'll sorta start again and say I'm looking toward a 1.6 ford escort. Its likey to be in the price band 1000 - 1500.

Reply to
Arthur R

An ESCORT? Really...?

So at LEAST 16yo, probably nearer 20.

The answer is not going to be as simple as "x miles", then. Some will be utterly f***ed despite low mileage. Others will be good for years to come despite high mileages. It's all about the condition of THAT car.

Still, at that price band, you're looking at the upper end...

Reply to
Adrian

you can lead a horse to water ...

Reply to
Robin

You would do better to set your sights higher, for that money you could get a nice Japanese auto that will work perfectly. Or a Focus auto, later Escorts were rubbish when new, at twenty years they will be rot bucket money pits, and IIRC the autobox was a common reason to throw them away, I know I had to change several on Orions and they probably used the same box on the later escorts.

Reply to
MrCheerful

And can you get an Escort Zetec?

Arthur, do you mean Focus?

Reply to
Clive George

Oh yeah; I'll do it before someone else does:

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Do not even consider an Escort of that age. I thought they were OK in their day; I had a couple and had no problems. (Not autos though.) Even the last ones will be pretty rotten by now.

A Focus could be had for that sort of money. They are good, but the 1.6 is just slightly under-powered, and in auto form would not be sprightly. Ford have never been noted for the quality of their auto boxes, although I don't think there are any particular issues with the Focus one.

Mr C's suggestion of something Oriental is possibly your best bet, but bear in mind that at this price level it comes down to condition rather than a particular make/model.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you really do mean an Escort, it might well have a CVT auto. Although I doubt there are many left running as it was a very troublesome box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The last of the escorts had the early zetec engine, as did the mondeo.

Reply to
MrCheerful