Zetec-E Engine Oil

I've heard a couple of conflicting stories about which oil should be used in the Zetec engine.

Apparantly there is a problem with sticking valves if the oil is too thick (10w40?) but a chance it's not enough protection if too thin (5w30?), although I'm not sure if the sticking valves problem only applies to the older Zetec engine (with DOHC 16v on the rocker cover, as opposed to Zetec

16v on the E).

Anyone did an oil change on one and have any info they'd like to share before I buy the wrong oil ? :)

Ta much,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

zetec engine,knew straight away what i was on about,job done.Best sticking to the synthetic oil as like you say other oil causes problems with this engine and i had it backed up from a friend who's a service manager at fords only use the synthetic oil.'5w-30'. HTH Si.

Reply to
sierra

Its very simple. Use only 5w-30 oil in *all* varients of the Zetec engine. (be it an E, SE, S or whatever) Its true that using a slightly thicker oil in the latest engines will probably not cause problems especially in the summer, but they are designed to use a very thin oil, and using a thicker one will increase fuel consumption- you'll be throwing money away.

Personnally I use Fords own Formula E which is a semi-synth mineral based oil which I buy from the dealer for about £14 / 5 litres or Morris' MultiVis

5w-30 which is about the same and change it at 5000 mile intervals.

In the states they use a 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil in the Zetec engines, which is Fords recommendation out there.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Yes it must be 5w/30 even Halfrauds sell it marked for "Ford Zetec" on the can.

The problem isn't sticking valves but the tappets jacking up when the engine is cold and the oil thick.

Reply to
C. P. Ewe

" C. P. Ewe" engine is cold and the oil thick.

The Zetec-E and Duratec have solid tappets...

Reply to
Tony Bond

From May 1998 onwards. Before that, they had hydraulic ones.

I think Ford thought it was easier to standardise on 5/30 across the range, because just because the car is post May 1998 (mine's mid August 98), it doesn't mean the engine is (Mine's a May 98 built engine).

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I thought the Zetec-E was introduced in late '98, before that was the Zetec with hydraulic tappets ?

Reply to
Tony Bond

That's what people used to say about my '87 CVH engine.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Blimey, that sounds like a Ford garage that actually do things properly - care to recommend them?

When I had my Fiesta TDI van I went into my local Ford dealer to get oil, and they gave me 10W/40 (the handbook says 5W/30) - I questioned it and they said "no, that's ok to use, it's the same stuff that we've got in our big tanks that we put in everything that comes in for a service here", or words to similar effect.

Enough said.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

'er indoors' 97-P Escort is a Zetec-E.

Reply to
Scott M

Hi Graham

I've always used 5W30 semi synthetic every oil change and she don't burn any.

I fill her up for the oil change and its at the same level for the next change.

Reply to
Steve Sweet