Zetec sticky valve problem.

I've got a 1.6 16V escort (1997, series 1 head) with the sticky valve problem when cold. I have had the problem for the last few years, but now I've converted to LPG it seems to have got worse (lack of power used to be for 100-200 yrds, if left for a few days, now the problem happens every morning & lasts for upto 1/2 a mile). I do have a flashlube kit fitted which is supposed to lubricate the valves, componsating for LPG being a dry fuel. I also use ford 5/30 oil, with regular changes, using a flush each time. I am looking for the cheapest remidy, & have a few questions,

1) Would a series 2 head fit is place of the old mk1 head? (as the mk2 head was designed to eliminate this problem). I was condidering buying a 2nd hand one of ebay.

2) Would fords solution of changing the exhaust valve tappets to the new modified type be worth considering, or should I just go for a replacement head?

3) I was thinking of just changing the oil pressure relief valve, to lower oil pressure, without changing the tappets (ford says change both), is it possible this could work on it's own?

4) I have considered just removing the exhaust manifold, & attempting to clean the valves by spraying something like carb cleaner on them, whilst rotating the engine, stupied idea or could this possibly help?

5) Any other suggestions for a cheap solution? Any rough figures that I would be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Reply to
DR.CLAYTON

if fitting the series 2 head eliminates the problem (as in the head has been designed to eliminate it) then i would go for that, otherwise you could be maintaining this issue for as long as you own the car.

Reply to
Jon Reynolds