'01 Miata - changing out Bose Radio for aftermarket

Hello All, I'm changing out the factory Bose CD system in my '01 because I want to have MP3 capability and XM Radio. I am going to put in an Alpine head unit etc. I would LIKE to reuse the factory speakers as I do like the way they sound.

Is the Bose amp built into the head unit or is it somewhere else in the passenger compartment?

I know that every other Bose system I have worked on in other cars have used very low impedance speakers (1 Ohms to 2 Ohms). Are they the same in the Miatas?

Thanks, Karl N.

FS: 1990 Cherry Red Miata - Rebuilt Engine and 5 Speed Trans, New Paint, etc email for pictures. prince reduced to 3250.00. Must sell before Feb 15th.

Reply to
Karl North

There's probably not much use in telling you this but you should read Miata.net, particularly the section on audio for some ideas. You can add MP3 and XM radio to your existing unit which is probably much superior to the Alpine unit (NOTE: I personally believe Alpine is really cheap crap that sells for big bucks but, as always, YMMV.)

No and no (I think?), I believe the Miata uses two amps located in the doors.

Read the audio section of Miata.net, it will answer your questions.

NOTE: Bookmark this url:

If you're going to have a Miata, you'll be going there often!

Reply to
XS11E

Actually, I think Karl has been coming here for quite some years.

I think he already has had a couple of Miatas. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

As I understand it, the Bose amp(s) is/are buried up behind the dash.

I did this with my '01, swapped out the HU for a Kenwood to get MP3 capability. The place that installed it put a converter between the HU and the amp that stepped down the power coming out of the HU and then fed it to the amp, which did its thing before sending to the speakers.

I don't have the car anymore, and I don't recall the price or brand name. I do recall it worked very well.

Reply to
Craig Wagner

Leon, Yes, I do currently have 3 Miatas. I have a 1990, a 2001, and a new

2007. And yes, I've used Miata.net a LOT. Honestly my favorite is the 2001. I have been more and more disenchanted with the '07. The PRHT was the big selling point but I'm at 2700 miles and I'm not happy with the handling etc. I don't think I should be considering upgrades on a car I JUST bought. :-) I think it may have to go away soon.

As to the speakers and audio system, I was just asking for everyone's opinions on the whole audio thing. I'm probably going to use Clearwater's replacement speakers. But only IF they offer subs with rubber surrounds. I'm not a fan of foam surrounds rotting out in my doors.

Thanks for recognizing that I have been around for a while.

-Karl N.

Reply to
Karl North

If you go to miata.net, Garage in the audio section, thete is complete information on doing just what you are asking about. They do not reccomend using the OEM Bose speakers, but it sounds like you can. The amps are in the speakers on the Bose units.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

I am happy with my NC, though clearly the NC is targeted to a quite different audience than the NA and NB (almost everyone on this group.) I would think in a few years, this newsgroup will be more varied in opinion; the same happened in 1997 when most of us were solidly against the NB, like your 01. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen