'03 Special Edition cloth top

My '03 Special Edition is the third Miata I've had over the years. One of the "features" of the SE model is the cloth top. Well, after 8 months of living with it, I prefer the standard top over the cloth.

The cloth "stretches" more (behind the windsheild) when driving. A 10 minute city drive will stretch it as much as 30 minutes on the freeway. Then, it takes over night for the top to recover it's tauntness. Also, it stays damp for an hour or two after washing, though I towel it off as best I can.

Something to think about if you are buying a new top.

Reply to
Randy Maheux

I am very curious what other people have to say about this subject. I do need a new top in the hear future.

"Randy Maheux" schreef in bericht news:dTnUb.15262$fD.14694@fed1read02...

Reply to
Ronald

I haven't experienced any stretching at all with my Robbins cloth top that I've had on for about 3 years. No problems with it staying wet either. Water beads up on it, and a towel takes it off. Absolutely no water soaks into the fabric. I would like to know, however, if this beading will eventually loose out to soaking in, and if so, is there something I'll need to do to keep it repelling water? Jim Jim's Miata Web Page

Reply to
Jim

I haven't had any of the above "stretching" problems with the cloth top on my 01SE, although it might stay wet longer then the rest of the car, and it might need more efforts to wash it, but the important part is, it looks way better then a vinyl top does.

Could you clarify the "stretching", how noticeable it is?

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

It seems very noticable to me. I haven't set up a web site to post a photo on, but I can email you one if you like.

Reply to
Randy Maheux