10AE on Ebay

If anybody's looking, I just saw what I think is a very good deal on a 10th anniversary miata. AZ car and 14k miles! The buy it now appears to be $11,500! Check this out;

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Somebody's dreaming. Even at that mileage, it's a $7000 car, tops. Check Edmunds.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You'd never get that car down here in North Cackalacky for $7K. I think it's a good deal if all the rubber parts aren't dried out too much from not being used.

--Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

You wouldn't get it around here for anywhere near $7k in my opinion. We're not talking about a St. Louis car here Lanny ;-) I just know some folks really like that particular model and it's quite rare to see one with that few miles. I don't care what the car pricing guides say personally. I think they fail to understand 'cult cars' sometimes and I think this car raises to that standard in some folks eyes (I guess that would be the 'cult' eh?).

Anyway, it's an auction, the $11,500 is the buy it now price.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Perhaps the Buy Now price is based on the very rare option listed on Ebay - "4-Wheel drive" !

Stuart '91 JDM Eunos Roadster (definitely NOT 4-Wheel drive)

Reply to
Stuart H.

See Lanny! I knew there was a reason it was worth big money!

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yes, my bad. That would surely account for it.

In my defense, from the photos it appeared to be just another non-red Miata. Who pays any attention to those? Metallic blue is for Camrys and minivans.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

....and white is for Miata's that want to go fast as it reduces photon drag*.

Red is for those who wish to attract attention from the police!

  • Leon, where are you? There's more here who need instruction on photon drag theory!
Reply to
XS11E

Oddly, in the 90k miles I've driven my Miata, I've gotten zero tickets. Not even a warning. And I've got the original, extra-sporty FM Duals. Guess I just know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em (i.e., I avoid driving like a teenager when anyone's watching).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Indeed. A little math proves that driving one's daily commute like an idiot will get one to work only seconds sooner than going with the flow.

As for driving aggressively for fun, there are times and places where it can be done with relative impunity. Urban traffic is not among them.

Every time I hear of a Miata owner sliding into a curb, I think of Jeremy Clarkson holding his fingers up to his forehead in the "loser" sign.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

However, not driving like an idiot will make you stand out from the crowd and theefore more noticeable to the police, "Hey, Joe, that guy's going the speed limit, he must be up to something!" I should also point out that most urban areas now have timed traffic lights so *not* accelerating as fast as possible when the light turns green to a speed 20-25mph over the limit and then slamming on the brakes and sliding to a stop will cause economic distress to tire shops, brake shops and, most importantly, OPEC so let's have a little consideration for these people, OK? ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Usually this is true, but I was pulled over for doing 60 in a 55, and in a rented white Corolla. I did only receive a warning, and a comment about slowing down. Slow down from 60 to 55 mph on a clear, sunny day while driving on a smooth road with almost no curves and great visibility? OK I guess, I wouldn't want to endanger any lives or anything.........

I think that having Texas plates in Alabama was a factor.

What is the lowest speed over the limit that you have been pulled over for? (r.a.m.m.m. poll)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I was stopped in Utah for "speeding" when I was about 5 mph under the limit on a desert highway in the middle of nowhere (describes most of the state). Factors to consider: I was in a yellow 240Z; there was no other traffic for miles in either direction; it must have been a slow day for the state troopers. I was let off with a warning, so I didn't make a fuss. But I avoid Utah whenever possible, along with Texas, Virginia, and the entire South.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Well, Georgia is a bit better now, thanks to changes in the state speeding laws. In general, you must be "ten over" or more, unless in a construction zone or school zone, or a state cop (only) decides you are doing something else besides basic speeding. In practice, less than ten over isn't worth the trouble to the state cops, and the local cops cannot give you a ticket for less than ten over unless you are in a school or construction zone. One major problem is that there is are always construction zones, and some are of long duration. (years) Another change has to do with grades. Seems that a ticket will not be given for speeding while on a steep grade (7-1/2% if memory serves). The same is true for "failing to come to a complete stop" at a stop sign while on a steep grade. A recent change also increased the cost of a "20 or more over" speeding ticket. (Gotta reduce the state deficit, you know!) Atlanta stilll has

55Mph limits, and the average rush hour speeds are/were about 85. I usually use the car pool/handicapped lane to avoid getting run over. Seems 65-70 doesn't get the cops excited, and most of the traffic is running faster. There is one area just north of Atlanta (Cobb county) that is almost a daily speed trap. It is the transition area from a 70 Mph speed limit to 55 Mph and is downhill, just not enough to trigger the grade limit. The cops sort of hide in an area that is not visible to the southbound lanes for much of a distance.
Reply to
Chuck

Does 110mph in a 55mph zone count?

Not in my Miata but I really didn't need to add that did I? ;-)

BTW, I beat the ticket through sheer sneakiness! I was cited by DPS (highway patrol) to appear in traffic court in Kingman, AZ. I figured the guy would have every LEO in northern Arizona looking for a gunmetal gray Jaguar XJS so I rode the bike up there and, to make sure nobody recognized me, I went the day before and stayed in a motel off the main drag. Next day, the officer didn't show, of course, as he figured I wasn't there! The ticket was dismissed, I got a refund of the fine and putted back to Phoenix, smiling all the way!

OK, I deserved the ticket, I probably should have just paid it and moved on but.... I didn't and I'm GLAD, so there! Live with it! ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Yikes. If 55 over the limit is the lowest you've been cited for, what's the highest?

Got to remember to stay away from the areas in which you drive...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

That's an admirable record. I was doing OK -- no tickets for

10 years (I'm not counting last summer's ticket for a cracked windshield I got from golfball-sized hail the day before). Last week when I didn't get slowed down on a rural county road when the speed limit dropped from 55 to 40. The annoying thing is that I _knew_ there was a 40mph chunk on that road, I just didn't realize I was there yet. At least the ticketing officer was pleasant about it -- which isn't always the case.
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Nah, it just means:

a. I've become senile. b. My fire went out. c. My Miata won't go fast enough to get a ticket.

Pick one or all.... ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

In 1967, on I94 Between Chicago and Madison, I got my 1957 Chrysler Windsor up to around 110 for 10-15 minutes. After I slowed down to 10 mph or so over the speed limit, a cop stopped me and gave me a warning.

Reply to
Frank Berger