10AE on Ebay

In 1971, I drove my 240Z from Washington, DC, to St. Louis in 10 hours flat, including gas stops. About 850 miles, IIRC. Stupidest thing I ever got away with.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

My most memorable one was in Normal Illinois in 1970. I was trying to catch up to the police chief, (never mind why) and decided to use a downhill grade. Needless to say a local fuzz was hiding behind an overpass abutment. The car was a 68 Chevelle with 396. Don't remember the speed (high) but was able to plead equipment malfunction due to a Chevy service notice about the throttle sticking, due to bad engine mounts. Chevy put "keepers" on the mounts. (Cheaper than replacing them.) OEM tires were "Tiger Paws". They would slide in a heartbeat when there was morning dew on the streets. The car was about as much trouble as it was worth. It had to be run hard at full throttle about once a week, or it would carbon up. In just the few years I owned it, The replacement parts were: Crank Balancer Left rear axle shaft & bearings, including the outer tube Fan Clutch & fan (Overheating at idle in traffic, even though the car did not have A/C) Passenger seat back upholstery (Sharp spring edge in seat structure) Valve springs, Lifters, valve seals. Carb custom rebuild (racing parts) to stop float sticking (after factory carb replacement did not cure problem) Turned out that the factory floats were molded on the side, and one side was more porous than the other, so it absorbed more fuel. Periodic problems with front disk brake calipers. Clean, polish, replace pads, etc. When I traded it in on a new 71 Camaro RS/SS, the Chevelle needed a new cam (factory defect, not hardened properly), and the rear end was making some noise at about 89k miles. Sold the Camaro, bought a 76 Buick Regal with Hurst hatches, and took it to Germany, then brought it back. It lasted fourteen years in daily use. Border crossing customs in Germany, France, Luxembourg, Holland, and Belgium usually just waved the Buick on without question. Seems that it was the Only RED 76 Buick with Hurst Hatches and US/Nato SOF plates in Germany.

"Lanny Chambers" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@nothing.attdns.com...

Reply to
Chuck

That's the stupidest?!?!?!

I am not about to list the stupidest thing I have ever gotten away with, not even one of the top 10. I must plead the 5th...... :-)

I did roughly the same thing in my de-bumpered 280Z, but only for about

200 miles, from Austin to Corpus Christi. It was a fast 200 miles with one gas stop, around to 2 hours and 20 minutes compared to the three 1/2 hours that it usually took. (55 mph speed limit at the time for much of the way)

My ex-wife, girlfriend at the time, was asleep almost the whole way and was surprised when we got there before midnight.

Pat

Reply to
pws

That's OK, we don't want your Yankee ass down here anyway. ;-)

I actually have to agree with you for the most part, but there is some good down here in Texas/The South, you just have to look hard for it.

The Pacific Northwest area has been calling to me for some time now, they have a general attitude there that fits me more than the conservative bible belt that I find myself surrounded by.

Pat

Reply to
pws

New England would also be a good fit. It's not full of bible thumpers like the south.

Reply to
DumbAss

Man, what a bunch of old fogies. While you all were getting tickets I was still crapping my diapers, and I will hit 40 this year, with any luck. ;-)

My worst ticket was for 20 over, doing 80 in a 55, knocked down to 75 as a "favor", then dismissed when I challenged it in court.

My last ticket was 4 years ago, almost 5 now. The one before that was 14 years ago, and my total number of moving violations has only been about

7 or 8 or so total, I know it is less than 10. Of those, I paid for two of them and the rest were dismissed when I challenged them.

Luck has played a big part, especially between the ages of 18 and 25. Now I am one of those people driving a pretty fast car, pretty slow most of the time.

Pat

Chuck wrote:

Reply to
pws

That's cool. I have nothing against anyone's religion, as long as it is not forced on me. Also, Austin does not represent Texas very well, it is a very blue city in a vast sea of red.

Not that I am a liberal, more like a Libretarian wanna-be.......

Pat

Reply to
pws

36 in a 35 zone, Clearwater, Florida, 1971.

Actually that's not what I got the ticket for, it's just what the policeman wrote on the ticket. To people today, it may seem unlikely, unbelievable even, but in 1971 there actually were policemen out there who hated teenage boys who had long hair.

yrs jp

Reply to
johnny p.

I still do, as a matter of fact I hate any guy with hair!

Guys with hair were OK when I had some but..... :-(

Reply to
XS11E

I still have all of my hair, but over half of it has moved downwards onto my shoulders and back.......

Pat

Reply to
pws

I still have most of my hair, I keep it in the shower drain.

Reply to
XS11E

Virgina is notorious for cops. I have seen more marked and unmarked cars in that state in one day than most places in a month. You have to be very careful driving I-81.

arnold

Reply to
arnold

Tennessee was the worst state that I have seen in this respect. Beautiful scenery, marred by countless flabby eaters of fried bread waddling from car to car in search of contraband. (as if any illegal drug could be more dangerous than the artery-clogging crap that they eat every day)

I drove from Nashville to Knoxville, a long drive. It seemed like a car was pulled over every 2 miles, and almost every time the contents of the car were being pulled out in what looked like the standard car search.

I never got pulled over, which would have been OK as long as they didn't plant anything on me. These thugs in uniform looked like they really wanted to send somebody to jail. Whatever happened to leaving someone the hell alone? Welcome to Tennessee, now spread 'em!

Some interesting reading for those who think that these guys and gals are angels. Most that I have dealt with are complete bullies, with a few remarkable exceptions, and the average intelligence that I have run into with this profession has not been very high.

Pat

Reply to
pws