195/55R14s, anyone still make them?

Need to replace tyres on my 94, currently with standard 14x6 rims, fitted with standard 185/60R14s. I would like a set of reasonable street performance tyres, but I can't find a single manufacturer who lists

195/55R14 at all! I am in Australia, but most major brands distribute the same range all over the world.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Mal Osborne

The excellent Toyo T1R is still available in 195/55-14 in North America, but that size isn't shown on the Toyo Australia website.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Mal, I use Falken Azenis for autocrossing but they also make for really good street tires. I've got 195 / 60 / 14's. They may not be a perfect circumference but the difference is quite small IIRC. They're fairly inexpensive for the wonderful grip they offer. You might do some digging on these.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

OK, I have abandoned the idea of 195/55R14's, probably getting a set of Yokohama Cdrives, 185/55R14s. I have them on my VY Wagon, been fairly impress so far. (For the Americans this is kinda like a 2003 Pontiac GTO station wagon with a 3.8L Buick V6)

Anyone running Cdrives care to comment?

Reply to
Mal Osborne

I'd only say 'never heard of them' on the C drives!? But aren't you going to be off just a bit with that size? Isn't 185 / 60 / 14 standard? Maybe that's not a concern to you, I don't think it would bother me but I do prefer wider to narrower generally!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Not a lot of options. Anything wider on a 14" rim is rare in the USA, almost unknown here in Australia. Going to a 15" is a possibility, but most aftermarket wheels are either heavy, weak, poorly balanced or real expensive. I don't want ot put on a set of cheapy Chinese wheels made by slave laborers out of recycled coke cans, and I don't want to pay a fortune for new tyres.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

Mal, A good option here (and possibly there) is an OEM set of Miata wheels. They shouldn't be very expensive and they are generally reasonable in weight too.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo