1992 Miata - to much gas in the cylinders - HELP!!!

I need some collective help. I gave my 1992 to my brother. This spring it has absolutely no power and is getting less tha 20 mpg.

I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires. It spits and sputters through the entire RPM range. It almost feels like it is getting to much fuel "loading up" as some might call it. Any suggestions on where to look or what to check?

History. I bought the car with 95,000. Then put another 120,000 on it. @ 210,000 I put in a used JDM motor. When I put that motor in I could not get it to start. Took it to the dealer - $350 and not much of an explaination of what the probelm was it ran fine. The only thing they could explain was it was not getting any fuel in the cylinders. The service manager said he did not know exactly what the mechanic did to resolve the problem. This was 10,000 miles ago. I have the old motor to swap out sensors etc if necesary. I'e already swaped O2 sencer from the old motor.

I'm in Milwaukee WI - the car is in central Minnesota - over 9 hours away. I gave the car to my brother when I found out he had cancer. He's fighting the cancer and making progress - but still in treatment. When I gave him the car I was hoping it would be something "fun" for him to do to get his mind off of cancer, if even just for a moment. Alas, it has not been fun...

Any suggestions on what might make the engine load up on fuel? Sensors to check?

Trustworthy import mechanics north of St Cloud Minnesota? The local mechanic looked at it and concurs that the engine is loading up. But has no knowledge on where to stat. At least he was smart enough to know his limitations.

Thanks, Greg

Mismatched injector problems apparently can cause poor running:

Best is probably to ask on the engine conversion forum at
want to add info on what engine, ECU, etc. Leon

"u" wrote:

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Pull the plugs and inspect them. If 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 are dark and fouled you have a failed coil pack. There is a chain of events that can happen on these cars. If the wire go bad, the coil pack can fail. If the coil pack starts failing the O2 sensor will fail. If the O2 sensor is bad the cat converter can fail.

Good luck!

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

I thought it are 1 and 4, and 2 and 3 that share the same ignition pulses.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

When I looked at the plugs they all llooked good. I also pulled the plug wires one at a time while it was rulling. It was quite noticable when I pulled each wire - so I think everything is good in the spark department.

I did leave a spare coild pack there when I visited last time. I didn't have time to change it. Maybe I'll see if the local garage can swap it out.

Some one else offered that suggestion off of the Miata forum - Thanks for bringing it up - I'll see if I can find a BG dealer in the area.

Thanks, Greg

department.

Before I did any of that, I would run a can of BG44K through the tank. With that many miles, it's entirely possible his fuel injectors are filthy and not atomizing the fuel properly. I run a can every 15K miles just to be safe. Better yet, take it to a shop that's a BG dealer and have them do the fuel injection service and see if it doesn't make a difference.

Tom

92 Red

u wrote:

Reply to