2000 Mazda Protege ES :Check engine light came on

Today, for very first time ever, the heck engine light came on in my 2000 Mazda Protege ES with 115k mile on it.

It doesn't seem to being running rough or anything. matter of fact I cant tell ANY diff in the performance.

I've checked all the fluids and they seem OK.

Any advice on what it might be before I take it to the dealer and they scalp me?

I want to add that last summer I had the timing belt, tensioners, and water pump changed and a tune up as well

Reply to
me

Check your owners manual, the CEL comes on for different reasons in different cars. It may be a built in reminder set to go off around 100k for the O2 sensor in the exhaust or something totally different. If you don't have your manual, I believe you can download it from Mazda USA on the web (IIRC).

Good luck, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

90% of the time it is because of a loose gas cap or a bad one. At 115k, just buy a new cap. If that doesn't fix it, then you can spend a fortune on the dealer. Even after you solve the problem, it will take a week or so of driving for it to reset itself, so be patient.

I wasn't aware of anything you could tune up on a car that new. It's all computer controlled. Plugs and filters is it.

Tom

Reply to
altar nospam

agreed... don't top off the car at the gas station. screw the cap down tightly. see if the light goes away.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Yeah but they want a bunch of info and for me to "register" to get the manual. So I guess that's out

Reply to
me

OK I will double check

But I checked cap tightness last night and all was well

I will fill up the tank this time tho.

Reply to
me

They computer generally checks the pressure in the tank when it is three quarters full or so. It can't check it when it is clear full or almost empty. It is also required to make at least three "official trips" before it resets. An "official" trip is a certain distance, at a certain speed, and a few other parameters. so it could take a week or so. If it isn't clear in a week of good driving, buy a new cap. I would anyway. They're cheap.

Tom

Reply to
altar nospam

If you have a local Autozone parts store, they have a rental policy that includes a code reader. You pay them a hundred something dollars on your credit card and they hand you the reader. You go out to the car, plug it in, read the codes, write them down, bring the thing back to them and they credit your card for the same amount.

They can look up the code and give you their interpretation of what needs fixing. The most common offender is an oxygen sensor. In your 2000 Protege, both O2 sensors are very easy to change (unlike some). Or you can post the codes here or elsewhere on the web and let all us "experts" out there give you advice. Your choice.

All the best,

Ken

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Reply to
KWS

The vehicle is only 6 years old should cap be replaced already?

Also the cap is tethered to vehicle how do I replace it?

Reply to
me

OK thanks

Where does the instrument "plug into the vehicle at tho?

Where is the "port" in the vehicle?

Reply to
me

Under the dash...left side. Plug goes one way. Pretty obvious....you'll figure it out OK.

Ken

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Reply to
KWS

Ok thanks guys!

You all have been a big help!

Reply to
me

It's not available for a '99 Miata. The website claims I can buy one from a dealer, but the local dealership told me they couldn't get it. Oh well, I'll just have to wait until I can afford to spend $100 at Trussville for the official service manual (in my choice of five colors!) Either that or ask a local NB owner if I can Xerox his. All I really wanted to know is, can I run this thing on 87 octane?

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan