2002 Miata SE Paint Problems

Good day,

I had such good luck with a question here before, I am back hoping for some more help.

My 2002 Miata SE (blazing yellow mica) was bumped in a parking lot but shows no real damage. However a "piece" of paint approximately 1 inch by four inches has come off the bumper cap - right down to the base plastic of the front clip. From another recent minor paint repair that was totally unsatisfactory, I am reluctant to get this fixed as the colour was not successfully matched on the previous minor repair. Apparently the pearl in the overcoat tends to darken the finish if applied over the exiting finish.

As it is, in certain lights, the car's plastic parts (front and rear clips and the door handles, mirrors) are definitely a slightly different shade of yellow. The other minor repair entailed a small gash in the vinyl stone guard on the lower side just behind the front wheel opening. The shop I took the car to (who claimed they had experience and expertise with this colour) added colour to the gash and then sprayed the pearl over it. This small piece of the paint work now is obviously darker than the rest of the car. As such I am reluctant to get this front piece fixed as the car will then be about five shades of yellow. Another paint shop told me to have the Mazda rep look at it before they quote on trying to fix it - kind of makes you wonder if something is up.

My question is: has anyone else had horror stories with this year and paint specification and has Mazda done anything about it? Kind of a pity to have a car that one takes some pride in looking like a reject from a cheap body shop. Seems to me Mazda had some serious paint durability issues with the

1993 - 95 RX-7 also.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave N

Reply to
David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E.

I have the same issue with a Racing Green 2003, and wonder if it just the effect of the paint. The front looks different in certain lights to the rest of the car, and the doors also appear a different shade. But if you try to show anyone, the light has changed and the parts look identical.

John

2003 1.8Sport
Reply to
John W