2005 Mazda Speed miata

Folks, I am looking to purchase a 2005 mazdaspeed miata here in the NE-USA. I found one for $19,900 and have a few questions.

Does anyone here own one? If so, is it worth the premium? I had a 2001 Miata and loved the car.

Just curious as to others experience with the turbo version. Thanks! S

Reply to
Squat

I have a 2004 MSM. It's a great car, but you should be able to get it for less than 20k. I paid $15,600 for mine two years ago.

The non-turbo has a nicer exhaust note. On the other hand the MSM has a much stronger engine.

Some (most?) prefer the 5-speed to the 6-speed transmission that the MSM comes with. The gearing is also very short in the MSM. Good acceleration but a lot of shifting. Not everyone's cup of tea. I would have preferred a 5-speed with longer gearing.

The 17" rims on the MSM look fantastic but are very fragile. I have already replaced mine with 16" Rota Slipstreams. Lighter, stronger, more sidewall, better ride.

Overall it's a lot of car for the money and great fun to drive. Whenever I drive normal cars now they just feel dead. I will not be selling this car any time soon.

Reply to
Carbon

Reply to
Beemer

That's about what it sold for new. (At end of year pricing) I would not buy it at anywhere near that price!

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks for the info. I think the car is still listed so they seem to be having trouble selling it at that price. I never saw my original post appear (thanks Time Warner!!!) so I guess you are the first to respond. I was tempted to offer 15 to 16k and see if they would take it. I loved my 2001 model and was loath to part with it but finances did not allow it then. (Don't really allow it now but I wanted to grab one of these rare models before to much time lapses.) Have you ever driven one? Are they worth the premium? Squat

Reply to
Squat

I've seen them on Craig's list around here (Minneapolis) for $12K-$14K. $19K seems completely unrealistic.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Yes, I've driven one. No they are not worth "the premium"

HOWEVER, The car can be a very good base for further improvements.

Reply to
Chuck

They are nowhere near that cheap around here (Hou). I can't see how there's much of a premium for the MSM at all. A regular 'loaded' miata cost about as much as far as I can tell and the maybe it's the fear of hard use that has driven down the price of the MSM so fast but I think they seem quite a value. Not at $19k of course but, .......

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo