65mph HARD shake -- UPDATE

Okay, some of you may remember about a month ago I wrote about a hard, almost violent, shake that was occurring in my '99 Miata from around 59 mph on up through 75 and even higher it many cases. Had new tires, freshly balanced, and just had alignment done. Most suggested it could be a bent rim.

My Mazda friend offered to take my wheels to his shop and have a close look at them. So last night I put the car up on jack stands and removed them and dropped them into his truck. He called me today and informed me that I did indeed have a bent rim. Plus the balance wasn't very precise, he re-balanced with the smaller weights I see everyone recommending. As stupid as it sounds, I'm pretty happy about the bent rim. I finally have a good answer to this phenomena.

If any of you have any suggestions as to where I can find a good price on a single 99 stock miata rim, it would be appreciated. I'm not opposed to a used one, so long as it isn't bent!

Thanks again for all the help.

-Tim

Reply to
twistednerve

There's a 14 incher here:

Frank Berger

Between ebay and miata.net you'll have no problem. You're going to feel like you've gotten a new car :-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

You can buy two aftermarket wheels for the price of one good stock Miata rim. Having said that, remember that the prices vary quite a bit. I have four Rota wheels that cost 114 ea at RSpeed's last open house. It seems that the wheels sold into the Mini market have the same 4x100 bolt pattern and offset as the Miata wheels.

Reply to
Chuck

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Chuck said: You can buy two aftermarket wheels for the price of one good stock Miata rim.

Maybe what he meant was for the price of buying a replacement rim through his mazda dealer. I don't think anybody's crazy enough to do that. The used rims are quite inexpensive.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

What is it that the dealer charges for the '95M BBS wheel? It was something like $900.00 each, iirc. You see them on miata.net for $800.00 or so for the whole set of four pretty often. They won't be new, but they are usually listed as being in great condition.

I have four 15 inch alloys with mismatched tires that I am going to sell. I was going to sell them as a set, but it looks like there is a demand for one or two wheels at a time.

What do you think a fair price is for a used 2000 OEM 15" alloy wheel? There is no curb rash, no yellowing to the center cap, it has never been bent, and has maybe 35,000 miles on it. Two of the four are in this condition, one has a very small curb scrape, and one has been shaved flat on the curved portion next to the tire where it also touched a curb.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:eCa6g.2284$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Pat, it's certainly worth $500.00 or more.

Chris, don't pay more than $19.95 and make him pay for shipping.

Well, that oughta start the conversation....

Reply to
XS11E

Chris has 16 inch aftermarket wheels, so putting one 15" OEM wheel on there might cause him some problems, though it could be fun to watch him drive off. ;-)

I am not greedy, anyone can have the wheel for $10.00 plus $350.00 shipping, that is my best offer.....This is within the U.S., extra shipping for international delivery.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:mSa6g.2289$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

He could only drive in circles..... ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Do you mean like this guy? :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Oops, forgot to open the frame in a new window. Try this one instead......

Pat

Reply to
pws

The devil's in the details, right!?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I'll try ANY SIZE WHEEL if it'll help me drive like that dude!

One wheel that helps him quite allot is called an 'impellor' (sp?) but I think he's best with the 'steering' wheel!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

He does have almost complete control of the car. I wonder if there is anyone here who could do the same moves in their miata. Certainly not me!

Pat

Reply to
pws