'92 Miata, surging problem, 85,000 miles.

Hi, I bought this car used 2 years ago. It had been left out under a tree, and the drain line from the fuel filler well was clogged. Rain overflowed the well and went into the gas tank. The seller drained the tank, and got it going. I put some alcohol fuel treatment in it a couple of times and it has been running fine until today. I keep it garaged. The symptom is fuel starvation. When I step on the gas, the motor starts to die, and if I lift off the gas, it smooths out. I limped home 15 miles this way this afternoon doing mostly 45 mph.. I'm going to start by replacing the fuel filter, and if that doesn't fix it, also replace the fuel pump. If 85,000 miles since '92 is about the useful life of a fuel pump, I'll replace them both at the same time. So my questions are: Am I on the right track, and is the fuel pump past its useful life cycle? Thanks in advance for any advice. Mike

Reply to
~AlicGinnis~

Good move. It's cheap and fairly easy to replace. If it's original, 85k is well past its service life.

FWIW, my fuel pump still works fine at 143k. I change the filter every

60k. There's another filter at the pump, inside the tank, but they rarely if ever need attention.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Hello,

I used to have an automotive repair garage in another life and remember that once I had a VW that acted like you describe. I tried a new filter which is usually the cause, without success. I then took the fuel tank out and drained everything out including the piece of cloth that someone had put into the tank. When the demand was high the cloth would block the suction tube and when off or at low demand it would float free and the engine would act normal.

In your case, I think you may have a reoccurring problem if the inside of the tank is rusted and flaking off. If a new filter helps for awhile then the problem comes back that is a sign of internal contamination. Water always goes to the lowest point in a fuel tank and depending on the internal coating it may be rusting there. Older VW tanks were famous for this problem. They had a low spot that sometimes just required a light tap to break through and start leaking.

Good Luck

Don

Reply to
Don

To the OP, based on what you say about the water in the tank, I'd replace the pump and at least look at the filter in the tank, there could be huge amounts of rust in the tank so you'll need to look at it with the idea of maybe having to replace the tank as well, if you don't the tiny rust particles will continue to clog the fuel system forever, I speak with the voice of experience, I may be the world's foremost expert on futile attempts to get rid of rust in a fuel tank!

Reply to
XS11E

There is a cheap fix that often works: remove the tank and coat the inside with a plastic sealant.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yes, one of the many "futile attempts" I mentioned.

Reply to
XS11E

I've never tried it personally on a car tank. But it worked well on a leaky steel motorcycle tank for me. Pour it in, rotate the tank to cover all inner surfaces, let cure overnight.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You left out the next step, watch coating peel off and, along with remaining rust which couldn't be cleaned out, clog fuel lines.

That was a Honda 750 I got real cheap. I finally gave up and sold it real cheap. Putting a of cup of light oil (kerosine consistency) and a handful of pebbles and shaking vigerously for a few hours scoured it completely clean and shiny and allowed it to run trouble free for about two days before the tank was covered with rust and began clogging fuel lines again....

Reply to
XS11E

FWIW, I had the gas tank treatment done on a car that had been sitting and it seemed like it worked well.

Reply to
Carbon

Hi,

KBS-Coatings markets a fuel tank repair and coating kit for large and small tanks. It will seal small leaks as well as terminate more rusting of the inside. it is a three step process and the tank should be out of the car of course.

Disclaimer: I sell these products.

Don

Reply to
Don

Thanks for all of the input. So far I haven't done anything. The next day it ran fine. I drove it 5 miles, stopped for 1/2 hour, and then drove it 5 miles back all with no incident. It ran normally, and continues to run normally on short trips. I haven't taken it more than 5 miles out since my post. Does this help any in the diagnosis? Thanks, Mike

Reply to
~AlicGinnis~

If you haven't replaced the ignition wires and plugs, this is a good place to start.

Reply to
lgadbois

Just something to check: There has to be a venting valve to allow air to go into the tank while fuel goes out to the engine. If air has trouble to get in, you'll get fuel starvation. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Joaquín Topis