92 MX-5 Grinding noise

92 Miata, 120K mi., change oil religiously, runs great, EXCEPT...I noticed a grinding noise coming from the front of the engine a couple of months ago that has gotten progressively louder. It's loud enough that I can't isolate which engine component its coming from. Definitely noticable at idle, undetectable at normal driving speeds due to normal driving noises. The timing belt, water pump, and entire clutch kit was replaced a year ago, so I don't think it's either of those. The noise is similar to what sound tires would make driving on a loose pebble road. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Belleville, IL (USA)

Reply to
mcgeehee

At 120,000 miles, if you did not change the timming belt tensioners, (belt due at 120,000) they will make that kind of noise. I just changed mine this last week at 120,400 miles and they were "shot" !! big time !! I thought it was the bearings in the alternator, but it turns out it was the tensioner and idler. If you can spin them like other bearings, they are BAD!

Good luck on this one ! I have seen them come out thru the front cover when they give out.

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Alternator bearings?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yah Lanny, you know the little things at the end of the alt. to let the shaft go round and round so it will put out AC to run the car ! I'll bet your car has them just like all of the rest of us, Now these are not part of the "Straits" up in Alaska ! :-) These are the ones that when the engine runs, the belt makes the alt. pulley go round & round (like the wheels on the bus) :-)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Pretty much any high speed shaft will have bearings.

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo