93 miata - won't start

I have a 93 Miata that won't start. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coils, igniter and timing belt with no luck. Anyone have anyone have ideas on what I should do next.

- Scott

Reply to
Scott Winters

Are you getting any response at all when you try to start it?

Also, by "igniter", do you mean the ignition switch or the starter? Either one of these will cause the car to fail to start if they go bad.

Pat

Reply to
pws

You've got to give more info than that if you want anything more than a WAG. I realize you might not want to write a book but come on!

It was running until I _ _ _ _ _ When I try to start it, it just _ _ _ _

You know, evidence / clues and the like.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Certainly I admit that knowing whether the engine turns over and whether the plugs are sparking would make it easier to hazard a guess. But I thought a Sherlock like you would just guess the problem from the way the post is written. What I expect from you is a simple:

Self-evidently, Dr. Watson, when a man writes "won't start" rather than "will not start," he has a careless attitude about things that clearly must mean...

I will leave it to you to fill out the final details, but I hope you have the idea now.

Leon

P.S. And no unsupported aspersions about expensive parts like the ECU! We want hard evidence and undeniable reasoning from you.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Check the fuses? Jumper the Tens pin? Is there any spark? Are the injectors getting a pulse train? Are you sure that the cams and crank are ligned up correctly?

One generally tries to see what does and does not work before replacing parts.

Reply to
Chuck

Leon, It appears that your comments are directed toward me, am I correct?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Well, who is else griping about clues?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
Scott Winters

I don't know if the 93 engine is the same 1.6L as my '90. On the '90 there is a vacuum fitting on the intake manifold that is unused. It has some sort of plug on it, but if the plug either gets old, cracked and falls off or bumped off, the car won't idle very well (if at all) but will run at higher RPM. Look for this design feature toward the rear of the intake manifold. If that's it....great. If not; it's yet one more thing to rule out.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Leon,

"Well, who is else griping about clues?"

Wow! You've impressed me again! To keep it simple, I'll simply say that you are clueless.

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

What does that mean, did you replace them with new with no difference?

If there are no vacuum leaks, how about trying to start it with ten and ground connected in the diagnostic connector? This is supposed to stop the ECU from messing with the timing, so an errant ECU system might show up that way.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I do not know what is bothering you. I agreed with you, don't I?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Just consider the idea of trying to diagnose a problem from the single fact that the car does not start: Pretty much every single mechanical item in the entire car can be the cause, from the clutch interlock switch, the ignition switch, the starter motor, the battery, practically every single part of the fuel system, almost all parts of the ignition systems, countless wires, the ECU or its many sensors, countless errors in the intake system, whether it be vacuum leaks, clogged air filter or mice, every failing aux device putting enough of a drag on the starter to prevent starting, a clogged exhaust, and probably another thousand things I cannot think off right now.

Of course I was not suggesting that you should come up with an explanation based on the style of writing; I did not fill in the blanks myself, did I? I was just poking fun at the idea of diagnosing a problem based on the sole fact that a car does not start.

Anyway, sorry if it upset you. It was not intended to.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well I know that it gets old for you and I to explain something we see as so basic and obvious since we are car nerds kind of hanging out here but I always try to give the person the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's their first time and they haven't thought it through. I could have made some rude / arrogant comment to the guy but that takes as much energy as what I did and accomplishes so much less. To then be (what I have a very difficult time seeing as less) insulted by you seemed just a tad inappropriate. Apology readily accepted.

Let's play nice

Chris

99BBB
Reply to