'95 R bites the dust...

Well, it finally happened. My beloved 1995 R package has bitten the dust.

A few weeks ago, I had a very low speed collision. At the worst intersection I know of, the Toyota SUV ahead of me pulled out, then nailed the brakes. By that time, I was accelerating in first behind her, watching the gap in traffic, and couldn't quite stop in time. It was a very minimal impact -- no air bag deployment, and we weren't even jerked forward noticeably. Maybe 5 mph. But the right front corner of the Miata hit the Toyota's right rear bumper and slid a bit under.

The damage didn't look too bad -

The car runs and drives fine, except for the front skirt rubbing against the tire when the wheel is turned left. But apparently the impact damaged the front right frame rail where it projects forward of the wheel. They need to weld on a new frame rail extension, and straighten everything up (the fender was knocked back about 1/4 inch, so the passenger door won't open.)

So the estimate was $3088. Looking at the value of the car, its extremely low miles, the fact that it's an R, and the fact that I love driving it, I was going ahead with the repair on my own dime.

But today the shop called. They've determined that get enough room to weld the extension properly, they need to pull the engine, which adds another $2K onto the job. I really don't want to mess with all that. Especially since I'd be tempted to have the entire car painted, which would cost another $3K. That's just too much to put into it, so it's going to go.

I'll probably sell the hardtop (with rear defroster) separately, since that's a known value. And I'll sell the car for whatever I can get for it -- probably put it on Miata.net and the local Craigslist. My question is, what should I ask for it in its damaged state?

-1995 black Miata R package, one of 465 made that year; 1,800 made in total over four years.

-Manual everything; has air conditioning. New Sony FM/CD, door and headrest speakers.

-Borla exhaust, short shifter, Hard Core Hard Dog bar (fits under hardtop and soft top), five-point belts (original retractible belts still in place).

-40,000 original miles and a very strong engine, autocrossed a handful of times, maybe a half-dozen Miata Club track days at Summitt Point. Always the fastest Miata there, except for the highly prepared racers.

-Always on Mobil 1 changed every 3k or six months.

-Soft top is shot; new soft top provided in box, ready to install.

-Wearing nice 15x7 alloys with good Dunlops, includes original 14x6 Miata R alloys with old Yokos.

-Two minor dings on the driver's side panel right behind the door latch, where a motorcycle fell against the car. No paint damage.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

-- Larry (Alexandria, VA)

Reply to
pltrgyst

Larry,

Sorry to hear about your miata. I had a very similar accident in my

1990 but with a mini van, fortunately, resulting in very minimal damage. My dad, Tim, told me about your car and just wanted to follow up. A little background on myself, I started in the automotive field in 2002, attending the Ford asset program. I spent my entire professional career at local ford dealers and recently left to persue my own shop. Along with 7 years of experience I hold neumerous ASE certifications and achieved Fords Master certification in two of the three fields.I just open my shop, Undisputed Autosport, a few weeks ago. We are located in Sterling, Va off old ox road (rt 606). Im sure I would be able to remove the engine and trans for far less than you were quoted. Please give me a call at your earliest convienience, at (703) 509-2584, so we can talk about the details.

Thanks

Justin Morrow (703)509-2584 snipped-for-privacy@undisputedAutosport.com

UndisputedAutosport