98 Miata Fuel Pump Cost?

Has anyone had a fuel pump replaced recently? (only 80,000 miles on a

98)

Haven't got the price yet, just the diagnoses from where I had the car towed to.

They don't have a price yet because they were closing.....it's a small shop.

Towing is free, AAA, don't want to get ripped off.

TIA

Reply to
Ron

In the US there is no 98 model, just 99 models built in 98 An aftermarket pump is ~$100US in the USA A "kit" is also needed ~$15US Next, the pump comes with a pigtail that must be spliced to the Tank connector from the old pump. One brand name Walbro

How did they diagnose a pump failure? (Power at tank pump connector, and no noise from pump, pressure check, etc.?) Besides the pump at 80,000 mi Fuel filter under car Possibly the fuel pressure relief valve (mounted on the pump & gauge sensor assy) Possibly the fuel pump relay Fuse

The pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. running habitually with minimal fuel can cause the pump to fail early. (This is not too common on a miata, due to the shape of the fuel tank if several gallons of fuel are in the tank.)

Reply to
Chuck

Yes, it's a 99. I was 1/2 awake when I made that post.

I have no idea how they diagnosed it, but that was the problem.

I just went ahead and let them do it, $380.00 including tax.

The dealer wanted $340.00 just for the pump! I didn't even ask them how much the labor would be. lol

Oh well, only the second repair I've ever had on the car, the other being a new AC condenser that had a small hole in it from a rock hitting it.

Reply to
Ron