A Snow Story

Last night we went to see a movie (Lord of the Rings part Trois) at the Cinemaplex in the Kirkland shopping centre. We drove through freezing rain to get there, and by the time we got out at midnight, 20cm (about 7") of wet snow had fallen.

More than the clearance on a Miata! And wet too, something I really don't like.

So I broke out the shovel and dug it out. The SO slipped and slithered over the uncleared parking lot to the exit and headed for Autoroute 40, our way home.

Dunno about your snow-clearing methods down there, but up here they use 4 massive highway-clearing sized snowplows in a staggered line across the whole width of the highway. The left lane one passes the snow to the middle lane one, who passes the snow to the right lane one, who passes the snow to the shoulder one. By the time the load has reached the shoulder, it's impressive.

OK, we were on the entrance to the 40 and the snow army went by just as we paused to enter after them.

WHAMMM!

The Rollerskate got completely submerged beneath the entire load of snow off the highway. Right up to the roof on the driver's side! SHIT! You couldn't even see us, so I got out the passenger side which was less covered, and headed for the trunk for the shovel so at least our tail lights and the hazards could be seen.

CRIPES, what a mess. There was no exit visible at all where we were. There had been one before the plows went by, but not any more; there was a new one back a bit from us as an exit plow came barreling along and luckily lifted his plow blade as he passed OVER the Rollerskate!

YIKES!

So I kept digging. The SO couldn't get out as the crap from the highway, which smelled slightly of horse shit, was covering the door completely. I dug us out, dug the windows off a bit, and dug a path back to the highway.

A nice gentleman in a Sunfire stopped on the shoulder to see if we needed a push, but traction wasn't the problem, it was highway crap. Nice of him to stop, though.

Once we'd got onto the highway, there was no problem. Our driveway hadn't been cleared but there was only about 5" of clean snow, so we drove in, parked and headed for the whirlpool bath.

There was one advantage to having road crap on the car. The wet salty stuff, when brushed off this morning, took all the road crap from the previous three months off the finish. Jeez, I hope the wax is still there...

Adventures in Snow Country - I can see the tile of the movie in lights...

Where's spring, eh?

Reply to
Nora

YIKES is right! Wow......... :-( ~Cissy '89 Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

Nasty, glad to hear you made it ok. I think that I would rather sweat and burn through a lifetime of Texas summers instead of deal with that kind of snow for even one winter. I haven't seen any ice on the road in over 4 years.

I'm going to visit Canada one day, I think I'll make it a spring or summer vacation. :-)

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Trois) at the

freezing rain

(about 7") of wet

Wow, Nora, hope the two of you are okay today. And that your poor Rollerskate isn't traumatized by the experience.

Fortunately we don't get that much snow down here in PA.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva