About to take the plunge

I can still remember the very first Miata I ever saw, on the road into Maggie Valley, NC.... I've wanted one ever since. Just never managed to do so, however.

Finally, now that I'm retired, it's time....

I have a few questions for y'all.... I'm about to take the plunge and get a new one...

5-speed manual vs. 6-speed manual... any advantage to either?

Suspension package... pros and cons?

Will the CD player play MP3s on CD?

Reply to
Doug Wilson

Depends on what you intend to do with the car. I consider a limited-slip differential to be essential for performance driving, and it's only available on new Miatas as part of the suspension package. Since that package is only available on Sport and GT models, the 6-speed is a foregone conclusion.

OTOH, if you just want a fun convertible and will never have a problem with spinning the inside rear tire coming out of a slow corner, then just focus on the other features and choose the appropriate package. Both transmissions are adequate, perhaps exemplary.

If I had the urge for a new Miata, my ideal car would be a base model with A/C, cruise control, the LSD, and none of the other foofaraw. I'd be replacing the springs, shocks, wheels, and tires with aftermarket items anyway. Alas, such a car is not for sale in the U.S. market.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It depends on which packaged model you get. The Sport and Grand Touring both come with the six speed manual standard. You also get the bigger (17 inch) wheels and meatier tires. The Club, MX-5 standard, and Touring come with the five speed. Some folks feel the six seems awfully "busy" if you do a lot of in city driving. I live in the boondocks and love the six speed. I never did drive the five so can't give you a real comparison.

If you want air conditioning and cruise you have to get at least the Touring model.

Some folks think the addon suspension package is too soft. For competitive driving I'm sure it is. I drove two sport models one after another, one without the package and one with. I thought the supension package not only gave a better seat of the pants feel when hard cornering, but also handled small bumps smoother. You also automatically get the limited slip differential with the sports suspension package. Traction in the wet can be problematic with this light of a car, imo.

IMO, it's a steal at $500. Pontaic wants $1400 for thier suspension package plus another $195 for the limited slip.

I've never tried MP3's so do not know.

One other thing that may or may not affect your decision. The 2006's have a

4 year/50,000 mile warranty. Beginning in 2007 this changes to 3 year/36,000 mile.

Jim

Reply to
George Jetson

"Doug Wilson" wrote in news:V%Dgg.59068$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

My Mazda dealer was VERY willing to allow me to test drive, when I sat in one to see how it fit, he told me to wait and came back with the key. He had me drive him to the gas station, filled the tank, asked me to drop him back at the dealership and told me to take it, find some curves, hit the freeway and "don't be in a hurry to come back!"

My point is that your dealer may also be willing to allow you to test the car so.... why not? See what you think of the 5 speed vs 6 speed.

Personally, I've never driven a 6 speed so someone else will have to answer the question but the 5 speed in my 1992 seems to do just fine (I really, really wanted to like the new MX5 but it doesn't fit me.)

Harder ride, flatter cornering, take your pick. If I were buying one as a daily driver (which mine is) I might pass on the suspension package.

Yes.

Reply to
XS11E

Thanks for the replies!

The closest Mazda dealer only had one Miata. It was a five speed, but the window sticker called it a Sport model, which I thought meant that it should have a six speed tranny.

Guess I'll hit the road and see what I can find. With all the crooked roads we have here in western NC, I'm beginning to think the suspension package with limited slip diff makes sense for me.

Lurking here and reading about these little cars has been an eye-opener!

Now, if I can just find a white Sport with a suspension package....

Reply to
Doug Wilson

I went with the sport version with the handling package. The latter was as much for the limited slip as for the springs and shocks. The sport and touring versions are all 6-speed so far as I know. The CD changer _does_ play MP3 CDs which is the only reason I bought one. Had Miata been clever enough to offer a connection for an external MP3 player as so many makers do it wouldn't have been necessary. That said, the changer is pretty nice to have and I've become used to it.

I haven't made it over the mountain to Maggie Valley or the Blue Ridge yet with the 2006 but am looking forward to it. That was a good cruising area in the old '91 Miata.

Reply to
John McGaw

OTOH, they were clever enough to get you to spend extra for the high-profit changer, eh? :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You'll also want to check out the NC forum at

Lanny Chambers

John and Doug, you guys (ya'all?) are sort of in miata heaven aren't you? Western NC and such. Have you been to the Tail of the Dragon yet? If not, you gotta go, there's nothing better! I was there for the 05 Miata event and got my first peek at the '06 NC, Mazda had actually brought one in special for the president of one of the local miata clubs to show off. It was Winning Blue and it looked like a winner! Yes Mazda is clever and I hope they keep being clever. They really seem to have their collective s_ _ _ together for the most part, at least compared to most mfr's these days.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I'm familiar with the Tail of the Dragon, but I can assure you, it's gotta be more fun in a Miata than it is in my F-350 4x4 Crew Cab diesel! (even though "Truckzilla" has a six-speed with a limited-slip rear end and a suspension package)

Reply to
Doug Wilson

Yes, I've been on the "Tail" quite a few times with the old '91 but not with with the '06 yet. But I will be doing it soon I'm sure. In fact it is the easiest ways to get to a couple of my favorite hiking locations so I'd better get to it soon before it get too stinkin' hot and bug infested to enjoy the trail.

Reply to
John McGaw

"Doug Wilson" wrote

I'm envious. I hit bad weather on our recent trip to Chattanooga and cancelled a planned side trip to US 129 and then had to cancel my mountain biking/sports car driving trip to western NC in June because of work.

You probably don't need this, but others might appreciate Mad Maps

Ken Lyons

I grew up driving on the twisty mountain roads of western NC. Just never had anything that would really handle the turns, though.

Reply to
Doug Wilson

Hey, that's pretty cool.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Doug, Soon you'll realize that life starts at retirement for some people. NC (North Carolina) will entertain the NC and the NC (Mazda) will entertain you! I want to hear the stories!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote

Where would we be without the motorcyclists? They're the ones who developed the Slickrock Trail in Moab, Utah and we mountain bikers have taken it over. Now they've gone out and identified all the good Miata roads for us.

Reply to
Ken Lyons