Advice on Prosport Gauges

Perhaps someone can help. My "new" MSM has Prosport air/fuel and boost gauges mounted on the A pillar. It's the way they are wired that I have a question about. After starting the car, I have to hold down the button on the air/fuel gauge to initialize the gauges. Otherwise they don't initialize and beep incessantly to remind me of that fact. I can't imagine that they are supposed to work like that. I think the previojus owner said as much to me but wasn't able to figure out the "correct" wiring before I took posession. I know he was asking about it on mazda-speed,com last year and didn't seem to get any answers. Any ideas?

One other question about the operation of the air/fuel gauge. Generally it shows a air/fuel ration arounf 14-1d, which I understand is normal. Under sudden deceleration (even going say 20 MPH in second gear and taking my foot of the gas), the gauge tops out and turns red to warn me that it has hit its per-set warning level. Does this seem normal?

Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Assuming the MSM is like every other car with electronic fuel injection, closing the throttle completely will shut off the injectors after a short delay. The air-fuel ratio becomes infinitely lean: all air, no fuel. Normal.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Good to know. Thanks. But it's hard to imagine what the warning of hitting a pre-set max is supposed to accomplish, isn't it? It leas it only flashes red and doesn't beep!

Reply to
Frank Berger

If the too-lean alert flashes under acceleration, you should immediately back off to avoid melting a piston from detonation.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers