Air conditioner drain

I just got a phone call from a friend who says his '94 miata periodically dumps about a quart or so of water on the passenger's feet whenever the air conditioner is run for an hour or so.

Anyone know where to look or what to check for this problem?

Thanks,

Roland

Reply to
Roland Smith

From the faq at

"The drain for the evaporator case is probably blocked by debris. Get under the car, and look on the right side of the tunnel near the firewall. There will be a short piece of black hose protruding from this area. A coat hanger or a bit of compressed air will work wonders. If the clog is too bad to be loosened this way, you may have to have the evaporator case removed and cleaned."

Pat

Reply to
pws

Did you even look at the FAQ or the other threads in the group? There's almost always a thread going on about this topic. The one at the moment is titled

"Water Leak Passenger Side Interior Under Glove Compartment"

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Well, during the months of June through August anyway, since most of us here are in the Northern Hemisphere.

During the winter, how to properly store the car and which snow tires are best to use are two of the more common topics.

By the way, Grant, I am losing fluid from the clutch system reservoir. Any idea on what I should check? (BFEG)

Pat

Reply to
pws

It's funny, I never noticed the thread until I started having problems with mine a while ago...now the thread is everywhere! It comes up a lot this season, I suppose. If you can't get in through that little rubber hose, don't go straight to removing the box yet! Look between the box the water is sloshing out of and the trans tunnel, you'll see a black hose connecting the two...put some towels underneath and slide the tube off at the top end...scramble around up in the box with a coathanger, and get that hose back on quick. You'll see a nice puddle accumulate under the car! ;)

Someone should update that miata.net FAQ to include this...

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe

Not really -- never had any clutch problems other than the warranty replacement for the shuddering problem on my '03.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I have done this at least 6 total times on 3 different Miatas. I never have tried going from underneath the car. Works like a charm so far.

I agree.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I hope you are pulling my leg. There have been at least 5,000 posts here asking why the clutch fluid reservoir was leaking, each time to be told to look at the clutch slave cylinder first. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

This is the most common problem; but, I would guess that you already checked this.

Brian

'fraid not...

I guess I wasn't paying attention. Will that the final?

Based on my experiences with other vehicles, the slave cylinder seems to be usual point of failure when clutch fluid starts to drop. Maybe I did see the posts, but they didn't spark enough interest to be memorable.

Cold water dumping on the passenger's feet, OTOH, is something one remembers.

I must say that in 10 years of Miata ownership with pretty heavy A/C usage I never had a tube clog up. I did accidentally knock the tube loose from the box once. When I noticed the carpet on the passenger side was soaked, I knew exactly where to look...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Sorry 'bout that Brian. The question was meant to be facetious.

Now we are up to 5001 posts on the subject. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Makes sense to me.

I have not forgotten it. I am almost never the passenger, but somehow it has still happened to me twice.

Now that I think about it, the ones I have unclogged have all had their bottom plastic shrouds off for at least some amount of time.

I wonder if debris is being pulled into the system from that area when the shroud is off, since it seems from the latest posts that people's Miatas are either never clogging up or they do it maybe every 1 to 3 years.

Pat

Reply to
pws

No problem. I should have googled BFEG before I replied. :)

Reply to
Brian

I accidentally told my mom to RTFM the other day. Then had to explain it, while my dad laughed.

miker

Reply to
miker